Undergraduate Industrial Placement 2017 - Construction & Design Management
About the role
Undergraduates will complete a one year industrial placement within our Investments business commencing in summer/autumn 2017. Our Construction & Design Management undergraduate role will tend to be site based; however, occasionally you may have to spend time in the office depending on the project requirements. You will be based in Brighton at the University of Sussex Student Accommodation Project.
Our aim is to provide you with an insight into our business, whilst gaining valuable experience of construction management to support your studies. You will be given the guidance and support you need to ensure you make the most of your time with us as we want you to make a valid contribution to our business throughout your placement. So in order that you develop quickly, you will be given a real taster of the role including site and office based experience responsibility as early as possible.
Reporting to a Senior Construction & Design Manager (SCDM) your main responsibilities may include:
- Assist in the day to day monitoring and recording of the Building Contractor’s activities on site
- Provide accompanied site visits with the Independent Certifier, Funder’s Technical Advisor and other site visitors as requested by the SCDM
- Assist the SCDM with the management and agreement of the sign-off of the Reviewable Design Data (RDD) including carrying out on-site inspections to check that the completed works are compliant with the signed off RDD comments.
- Participate in the completion countdown meetings leading up to handover and maintain the countdown meeting schedules.
- Monitor the Building Contractor’s close-out of snagging in the lead –up to hand-over and post-handover.
- Attend Client Meetings as requested by the SCDM and manage the actions which flow there-from
- Gather information as required to assist the SCDM carry out the monthly construction valuation and issue of payment certificates.
Your time with us will help you gain valuable experience should you aspire to specialise in construction management
Who we're looking for
To be considered for one of our undergraduate roles, you’ll:
- A flexible approach to work (you may be required to relocate, as part of your training)
- A team-focus with the ability to interact with a wide variety of people at all levels
- A driven, self-motivated attitude, with the ability to work on your own initiative
- Be studying for a Construction Management degree ideally expecting to gain at least a 2:1
- Excellent IT skills
- Ideally, a full UK driving licence
Why work for us
Salary & benefits
We offer a competitive salary, dependent on your year of study and any previous experience. You may also be invited to return for further work placements and ultimately a place on the Balfour Beatty Group Graduate Scheme, subject to further assessments.
For more information about what you can expect as a Balfour Beatty Placement student please visit the website.
Should you require any further support with your application please contact email@example.com.
Closing date – 28th April 2017
We are the UK’s largest construction and infrastructure business. Each day our projects change people’s lives and communities for the better. We built the famous London Aquatic Centre and you’ll find our mark in all kinds of infrastructure like schools and hospitals, major roads, rail and power networks. Each year we seek the best graduates to come and join our ever changing business.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!