Graduate Civil Design Engineer
About the role
Our Civil Design Engineering Graduates follow a training programme as part of our accredited ICE scheme, geared towards you achieving Charted Engineer status. This scheme has a strong emphasis on the design element of Civil Engineering. Depending on project requirements, you could be site, office based or both.
You’ll have visibility in key areas of our business – these could include multidisciplinary engineering, construction, safety and commercial and you’ll soon appreciate the important role of engineering innovation as well as the application of independent engineering judgement. Our aim is to develop your technical and leadership skills to help you reach your full potential.
As a Graduate Engineer you’ll work on a variety of different projects, including new build and refurbishment/remodelling schemes. Your responsibilities will include:
- Undertaking designs to comply with applicable standards and procedures
- Assisting in the co-ordination of the design process on live projects
- Assisting in ensuring that the highest possible safety standards are implemented and maintained via risk mitigation in the design process
- Ensuring that design information is accurate and available to enable all construction activities to proceed efficiently
- Supporting the site commercial team by providing clear records of design changes
The Balfour Beatty Graduate scheme lasts for two years; you will follow a development programme that will equip you with the skills needed to become a business leader of the future. Throughout the two years, you’ll be supported by your line manager and have the opportunity to attend graduate-based events, where you will work with your peers, develop interpersonal skills and share best practice. You will join a graduate cohort and be assigned Business Improvement and Corporate Social Responsibility Projects that can affect the way we work as a business.
Roles will be based in either Southampton or Hereford.
To be considered for our graduate scheme you’ll have:
- A minimum of a 2:1 BEng (Hons) or BSc (Hons) in Civil or Structural Engineering
- Experience within an engineering environment
- Eligibility to work and live permanently in the UK
- A full, clean UK driving licence
What we’re looking for:
- A flexible approach to work and able to adapt to change (you may be required to relocate as part of the programme)
- A team focus with the ability to communicate and build relationships with a wide variety of people at all levels
- A driven, self-motivated attitude, with the ability to work on your own initiative and influence key decisions
Why work for us
We offer a competitive salary that is reviewed annually based on performance. You will have the opportunity to join a contributory pension scheme, flexible benefits package and you may be entitled to a company car, if applicable to the role. Your professional institution fees will be covered.
Our Civil Engineering Design Graduate schemes are based in the following Balfour Beatty Divisions:
For more information about what you can as a Balfour Beatty Graduate and what’s involved in the scheme, visit our website www.balfourbeatty.com/graduate and view the profiles of our current graduates across the Group.
Should you require any additional support with your application, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date – applications are open until 20th April 2018, however we reserve the right to remove adverts should the roles be filled before this date.
Applicants are therefore encouraged to apply as early as possible as CVs will be reviewed and candidates selected on a rolling recruitment basis.
Balfour Beatty is an equal opportunities employer and has been accredited with the Positive About Disabled People (“Two Ticks”) symbol and we are a member of Stonewall’s Diversity Champions programme.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!