Undergraduate Industrial Placement 2019 - Construction Management
About the programme:
Undergraduates will complete a one year industrial placement within our business commencing in summer/autumn 2019. Our Construction Management undergraduate roles will tend to be site based; however, occasionally we have office based placements available depending on the project requirements.
Our aim is to provide you with an insight into our business, whilst gaining valuable experience of construction management to support your studies. You will be given the guidance and support you need to ensure you make the most of your time with us as we want you to make a valid contribution to our business throughout your placement. So in order that you develop quickly, you will be given a real taster of the role including site and office based experience responsibility as early as possible.
You’ll have visibility in key areas of our business – these could include design, operations, safety and commercial - and you’ll soon appreciate the important role of engineering innovation. Our aim is to develop your skills and to help you reach your full potential. As your programme progresses you will work with construction specialists and contractors on various projects, and will help ensure compliance with our Health and Safety agenda.
Your responsibilities may include:
- Assisting in the day to day monitoring and recording of the Building Contractor’s activities on site
- Providing accompanied site visits with the Independent Certifier, Funder’s Technical Advisor and other site visitors as requested by the SCDM
- Assisting the SCDM with the management and agreement of the sign-off of the Reviewable Design Data (RDD) including carrying out on-site inspections to check that the completed works are compliant with the signed off RDD comments.
- Participating in the completion countdown meetings leading up to handover and maintain the countdown meeting schedules.
- Monitoring the Building Contractor’s close-out of snagging in the lead –up to hand-over and post-handover.
- Attending Client Meetings as requested by the SCDM and manage the actions which flow there-from
- Gathering information as required to assist the SCDM carry out the monthly construction valuation and issue of payment certificates.
- Your time with us will help you gain valuable experience should you aspire to specialise in construction management.
What we’re looking for:
- You will have an enthusiastic, engaged attitude and an eagerness to learn
- A flexible approach to work and able to adapt to change (you may be required to travel as part of your training)
- A team-focus with the ability to communicate and build relationships with a wide variety of people at all levels
- A driven, self-motivated attitude, with the ability to work on your own initiative
What you’ll need:
- Be studying for a Construction Management (BEng or MEng) degree ideally expecting to gain at least a 2:2
- Ideally, have a full UK driving licence
- Be eligible to work and live permanently in the UK
Rewards and Benefits:
We offer a competitive salary dependent on your year of study and any other previous experience. You may also be invited to return for further work placements and ultimately a place on the Balfour Beatty Graduate Scheme, subject to further assessments.
For more information about what you can expect if you continue on to become a Balfour Beatty Graduate and what’s involved in the scheme, visit our website www.balfourbeatty.com/graduate and view the profiles of our current graduates across the Group.
Should you require any additional support with your application, please contact email@example.com