Undergraduate Summer Placement - Mechanical Engineering
About the role
Within Balfour Beatty we have opportunities for Mechanical Engineering Undergraduates to complete an 8-12 week placement in the summer of 2019. Our Mechanical Engineering Undergraduate roles are typically site based, however occasionally we have office based placements available depending on the project requirements.
Our aim is to provide you with an insight into our business, whilst gaining valuable experience of mechanical engineering to support your studies. You will be given the guidance and support you need to ensure you make the most of your time with us as we want you to make a valid contribution to our business throughout your placement. In order to develop quickly, you will be given a real taster of the role and given real responsibility as early as possible.
Our Mechanical Engineering Summer Placements are based in Balfour Beatty Kilpatrick in Central Belt Scotland & South East England
What you'll be doing
Reporting to a Senior Engineer your main responsibilities may include:
- Support the senior project team in the overall implementation of the engineering strategy and framework for the designated project
- Manage materials, plant and labour within the allocated budget and resources, ensuring their safe, effective and efficient delivery of service on the project
- Ensure all systems, design information, procedures and quality systems are effectively communicated
- Support the project delivery teams, verifying the work of others, providing technical support
- Support assurance on projects through conducting audits and regular meetings with project teams, identifying best practice, areas for improvement and areas of concern
- Develop and maintain relationships with relevant customers including technical consultants and suppliers, managing their input in the design, development, pricing and delivery of technical solutions on site
- Maintain personal expertise and knowledge to ensure that the company is at the forefront of the industry both technically and in using the latest technologies and standards
- Ensure that the engineering is efficiently managed so that it is fit for purpose from conception right through installation and maintenance; recognising site conditions and constraints and taking into account CDM, other statutory regulations and customer requirements
- Ensure the efficient operation of procurement, material control policies and procedures; providing assistance in producing accurate and current procurement schedules and cost information/reports (where required)
- By using the principles of quality assurance, and where appropriate technical Integrity, ensure the customer requirements are clearly understood and that Quality Control mechanisms are in place that provide assurance that the asset and/or service delivers as designed/required
- Contribute to the accurate and efficient provision of progress and productivity reports weekly and monthly to senior management, in accordance with company procedures
- Provide concise and accurate feedback on project performance against estimate to the estimating function
Who we're looking for
To be considered for our undergraduate roles:
- Be studying for a Mechanical Engineering (BEng or MEng) degree ideally expecting to gain at least a 2:2
- Full UK driving licence
- Be eligible to work and live permanently in the UK
What we’re looking for:
- You will have an enthusiastic, engaged attitude and an eagerness to learn
- A flexible approach to work and able to adapt to change (you may be required to travel as part of your training)
- A team-focus with the ability to communicate and build relationships with a wide variety of people at all levels
- A driven, self-motivated attitude, with the ability to work on your own initiative
Why work for us
We offer a competitive salary dependent on your year of study and any other previous experience. You may also be invited to return for further work placements and ultimately a place on the Balfour Beatty Graduate Scheme, subject to further assessments.
For more information about what you can do as a Balfour Beatty Placement and what’s involved in the scheme, visit our websitewww.balfourbeatty.com/careers/early-careers/undergraduate-summer-placements-and-year-long-internships/
Should you require any additional support with your application, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date – applications are open until 12th April 2019, however we reserve the right to remove adverts should the roles be filled before this date.
Applicants are therefore encouraged to apply as early as possible as CVs will be reviewed and candidates selected on a rolling recruitment basis.
Balfour Beatty is an equal opportunities employer and has been accredited with the Positive About Disabled People (“Two Ticks”) symbol and we are a member of Stonewall’s Diversity Champions programme.
We are an international infrastructure group providing innovative and efficient infrastructure that underpins our daily lives, supports communities and enables growth. We finance, develop, build and maintain complex infrastructure such as transportation, power and utility systems and social and commercial buildings. Each year we seek the best Graduates to come and join our ever changing business.