Process Science Graduate Trainee
Using a highly integrated approach to manufacturing, using science, technology and engineering, we develop and sell a diverse range of sustainable products not just sugar. If you work with us you will learn to draw on your scientific knowledge to become a process science expert who will support our operations to ensure they run as efficiently as possible. Once appointed you will have the opportunity to develop further, to become a key individual at the heart of the process who will lead process science based improvements and investigations.
Working in science at British Sugar is varied and challenging, routinely presenting unique obstacles to navigate and problems to manage and solve. The graduate scheme is factory-based and on successful completion offers a job with management exposure, in which you will be expected to play a high-profile role in our business.
During the two and a half year scheme you will be directly involved with the process and this may include a range of challenges that could have significant consequences for the business. Within the second half of the scheme will have real responsibility assigned and during the programme you will have plenty of direction and support to help you understand and our processes.
A full range of opportunities exist for successful science graduates within the business from Operations to Commercial Management and beyond.
Being a scientist at British Sugar requires a practical approach and a passion for the application of science within an industrial environment. Ideal candidates will have an investigative rather than analytical mind which allows them to determine the right level of evidence required to make effective decisions. You’re likely to be somebody who is interested in understanding how things work, breaking problems down into component parts to understand the impact on the whole.
As one of our technical experts, you’ll need excellent communication skills and the ability to deliver innovative solutions. Drawing on strong experimental skills, you’ll need to think creatively in order to test hypotheses in a continuous process environment, building evidence for process changes and improvements.
You’re keen to learn and to apply your knowledge to make a real difference to our factory operations, gaining expertise early on and using it in a fast paced environment. Ideal candidates will be multidisciplinary with a strong interest in working across the boundaries of science, technology and engineering. You’ll need strong interpersonal skills as you will have to influence a multi-functional workforce at all levels using data and logical arguments. Of course, in such a challenging environment you’ll need the energy, tenacity and drive to stand out from the crowd.
- Process and systems focussed with a ability to take well thought out and effective decisions
- Ability to problem solve in innovative and lateral ways, taking into consideration the impacts to the whole process
- A positive approach, energy and resilience to work in a complex and multi process site
- Tenacity to deal with the many challenges and stakeholders whose opinion you may need to influence
- Ability to build relationships and collaborate
- Confident to communicate to different levels in the business
- Drive to take on early responsibility and stand out from the crowd.
- An investigative mind and the ability to deliver innovation
- Desire to role model and promote safe working on site
- A 2:1 or higher in an applied science degree e.g. Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biotechnology. Minimum chemistry requirement equivalent to 1st year degree level.
- Courses with industrial work experience are desirable but not essential.
- Applied/Industrial PhD applicants welcomed.
- Willing and able to relocate throughout the course of the scheme and be appointed at any of our four sites.
- Committed to the demands of a top graduate scheme.
Training & Development
Your continual progress and development throughout the graduate scheme is vital to your success so you will need a growth mind-set and desire to continually develop.
You will receive all the support you need to enable you to meet our business and your personal goals. This will include an experienced line manager, coach and mentor to ensure you progress, as well as a strong network of new and existing graduates. Every 6 months we will assess you against clearly defined objectives.
The benefits of a career with British Sugar are an appealing mix of the professional and the financial:
- £27,500 reviewed every 6 months
- £1,500 joining bonus
- Moving Assistance
- Formal and informal mentoring schemes
- 21 days' holiday rising to 26 days’ after one year of service, plus 8 statutory days
- Contributory pension scheme
- Other flexible benefits
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!