Chemical Engineering Graduate Trainee
Using a highly integrated approach to manufacturing, we develop and sell a diverse range of sustainable products not just sugar. Because of this, engineering is at the heart of all that we do, ensuring all areas of the sites run safely and efficiently.
As a graduate engineer you will be expected to use the knowledge gained from your engineering degree to continuously improve processes and introduce new technology while keeping the 24/7 operation running like clockwork. All this in an environment where health and safety is simply vital.
In your two and a half year programme you will have the chance to work and learn from experts in the business. As one of our future leaders you will have the opportunity to manage and lead your own shift or be highly involved in an engineering project within 18 months of starting your scheme. We will support and develop you to be able to achieve this responsibility.
The scheme is factory-based in one of our 4 sites and offers a job with management and team exposure from day one, involvement in the full production lifecycle and a chance to play a high-profile role in our business. For the right people this means running your own factory sooner rather than later.
- A passion to excel for large-scale engineering , a 'can-do' attitude and pride in your work
- Ability to problem solve in innovative and lateral ways leading to practical solutions
- A positive approach, energy and resilience to work in a complex and multi process site
- Tenacity to deal with the many challenges and stakeholders whose opinion you may need to influence
- Ability to build relationships and collaborate
- Drive to take on early responsibility and stand out from the crowd.
- An enquiring mind and the ability to deliver innovation
- Desire to role model and promote safe working on site
- A 2:1 or higher in one of the following Engineering disciplines; Chemical / Mechanical / Process / Electrical / Mechatronics or a degree in Chemistry is the minimum. If you can demonstrate industrial work experience as a placement or summer job, even better
- Willing and able to relocate throughout the course of the scheme
- Committed to the demands of a top graduate scheme
- Ability to undertake professional qualifications as and when required
Training & Development
We want you to lead sooner rather than later and so the course is geared very much towards early achievement. Your continual progress and development throughout the graduate scheme is vital to your success so you will need a growth mind-set and desire to continually develop.
You will receive all the support you need to enable you to meet our business and your personal goals. This will include an experienced line manager, coach and mentor to ensure you progress, as well as a strong network of new and existing graduates. Every 6 months we will assess you against clearly defined objectives.
The benefits of a career with British Sugar are an appealing mix of the professional and the financial:
- £30,000, reviewed every six months
- £1,500 joining bonus
- Moving Assistance
- Support towards achieving Chartered status
- Formal and informal mentoring schemes
- Opportunities for cross-functional moves
- 21 days' holiday rising to 26 days’ after one year of service, plus 8 statutory public holidays
- Contributory pension scheme
- Other flexible benefits
- Professional qualifications sponsorship
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!