Burges Salmon LLP
Burges Salmon is the independent UK law firm which delivers the best mix of advice, service and value.
We focus on quality. By focusing on the markets and areas of expertise where we have extensive knowledge and experience, we achieve the best outcomes for our clients who range from large organisations, entrepreneurial businesses and public sector bodies to private individuals and families. We are trusted to help them with everything from their everyday legal needs to their business critical issues and all points in between.
We are all based in one location. However, we work wherever our clients need us to be, both within the UK and internationally. By having one base for all our people, we maintain a collaborative and cohesive culture which underpins the quality of our work and our client service. In short, we hire, train and retain the best people to work together to serve our clients and provide them with the best possible experience.
Our trainees are exposed to an extensive range of work from the very beginning of their career with seat opportunities ranging from banking and real estate to dispute resolution and private client. While traditional training contracts offer four seat rotations, our six seat approach is designed to provide you with a greater range of experience allowing you to become an expert in many fields. This approach builds confidence, commercial awareness and adaptability from the outset.
Throughout your training contract you should expect to spend some time in real estate and dispute resolution. Aside from this there is a great deal of flexibility in where your training contract takes you. Within each seat you will be encouraged to take work from right across the department, ensuring you gain a breadth of experience in each area. Your final seat will normally be spent in your qualification department, meaning you have four months to settle in before starting your career as a newly qualified solicitor.
What we're looking for...
What all of our people have in common is an enthusiasm for the law and a drive to deliver top quality work for our clients. You’ll also need:
- Academics: a 2:1 degree in any discipline and a minimum of 136 UCAS points at A-level.
- Ability to work within a team: we have a collaborative culture so an ability to work well with colleagues and clients is essential.
- Drive and resilience: becoming a solicitor is hard work. We want to see people who are proven self-starters and are able to overcome setbacks.
- Analysis and judgement: our work can be complex and demanding. We need people with analytical minds who aren't afraid to share their own opinions.
- Communication: we are looking for people who can convey complicated messages easily and efficiently.
- Common sense: we are looking for people with an ability to apply their legal knowledge in a practical way that is useful for our clients.