Reimagine money, inspire life
Capital One are an information-based lending company, founded on the belief that technology and information can transform the industry and make life better for everyone.
In the digital age, money and the way people interact with it is evolving. At Capital One, we rely on happy customers. That’s why we’re Reimagining Money to help customers succeed and make life a little easier. We put our customers first, pride ourselves on innovation and are always on the lookout for the next big thing.
Our philosophy is simple:
Recruit extraordinary people and help them realise their full potential.
Our people shape the way we work. We know the next big idea could come from anywhere in the business. That’s why all our work areas are open plan and the directors and managers sit alongside the teams. Nurturing talent and tapping into potential is a no-brainer for us. Everyone plays their part and teamwork is a way of life.
No matter which scheme you join us on, you’ll get to work alongside – and be mentored by – some of the most talented people in the business and the industry, not to mention enjoy the freedom to do things your way. Through opportunity, resources, training and inspiration, you’ll be encouraged and supported to own your work, pursue your ideas and achieve your professional and personal goals.
At Capital One, we don’t see technology as limited to the confines of a traditional IT department. Instead, we’re looking for people who share our passion for new technology and are ready to join us on our journey of transformation. We moved software engineering in-house three years ago to provide a greater level of innovation and control. Now, we’re reimagining money through awe-inspiring digital solutions and working in an agile environment.
The Software Academy is a two-year programme. In your first year, you’ll be learning the basics and getting a great grounding in software engineering. In your second year, you’ll have the option to rotate and try different teams, as well as explore different technologies – from big data to cloud to cyber security – all while developing world-class technical skills on cutting-edge projects. Scrums, huddles and daily catch-ups will all become second nature as you build your knowledge of agile working.
The programme will also give you face-to-face mentoring opportunities with a dedicated Technical Mentor and an assigned Career Mentor who will guide you through your career at Capital One as you reimagine the opportunities and discover where your true talent and passions lie. The most important qualities you need are to be tech-obsessed; have a passion for software development; have a strong desire and motivation to solve difficult problems; and be armed with an inquisitive mind and curious nature. We’re looking for quality-driven people who are able to think creatively and be hungry to discover the next big thing.
What do our Software Associates do?
- Develop software using agile methodology to create things like iOS/Android mobile apps to make banking easier for our customers
- Reimagine our current architecture from the perspective of open source, micro service, cloud and APIs
- Design and implement creative ways to build quality into projects, so we can continue to be at the forefront of innovation
- Work on the core logic that drives our business, always looking ahead for the next big thing that will change the status quo
- Discover inspiring solutions to complicated problems
What are we looking for?
We hire individuals, not box tickers. You don’t have to have studied a particular subject; who knew what they wanted to be when they first started university? The graduates we find do best in our application process and beyond when they join us on a scheme typically demonstrate:
- A minimum 2.1 degree and at least 320 UCAS points
- An analytical mind set and the ability to break down complex problems and identify great solutions
- A passion for doing the right thing for customers
- An obsession with technology and a good grasp of programming if they are applying for a technical role
- Bags of personality with entrepreneurial flair
We treat our graduates right – after all, one of you could be our future CEO. That’s why our graduate salaries start at £32,000. We also offer a generous £5,000 signing on bonus, as well as an annual performance related bonus.
It’s not just about the pound signs though. We like to make sure our associates are well looked after – in every sense. Here’s how:
- 25 day’s holiday and option to buy up to 5 extra days
- Group personal pension scheme
- Private medical, dental and life assurance plans
- Interest-free travel season ticket loans and cycle to work scheme
- Employee discount scheme at high street retailers
- Free on-site gym and subsidised restaurant
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!