Reimagine money, inspire life
Capital One are an information-based lending company, founded on the belief that technology and information can transform the industry and make life better for everyone.
In the digital age, money and the way people interact with it is evolving. At Capital One, we rely on happy customers. That’s why we’re Reimagining Money to help customers succeed and make life a little easier. We put our customers first, pride ourselves on innovation and are always on the lookout for the next big thing.
Our philosophy is simple:
Recruit extraordinary people and help them realise their full potential.
Our people shape the way we work. We know the next big idea could come from anywhere in the business. That’s why all our work areas are open plan and the directors and managers sit alongside the teams. Nurturing talent and tapping into potential is a no-brainer for us. Everyone plays their part and teamwork is a way of life.
No matter which scheme you join us on, you’ll get to work alongside – and be mentored by – some of the most talented people in the business and the industry, not to mention enjoy the freedom to do things your way. Through opportunity, resources, training and inspiration, you’ll be encouraged and supported to own your work, pursue your ideas and achieve your professional and personal goals.
‘Big data’ is a term that you’re likely to have heard a lot of late but Capital One was doing big data before it became a buzzword. We were founded on an information-based strategy, so every decision is an informed one and analysts are at the core of driving our business strategy forward. This is where our analysts get their kicks: solving complex business problems, developing strategies that drive our profitability and growth, by collaborating across business areas and mining this wealth of information. As such, they all have an understanding of the nuances of data analysis, programming, business insights and technical skills.
If knowledge is power, then our Data Scientists could compete with the national grid. Data Scientists at Capital One are continually increasing our understanding of our customers and of the markets in which we operate, helping us to predict risk, modelling response to marketing and developing frameworks for analysing transactions. So, if you have in-depth knowledge of specific programming languages, experience in extracting nuggets of insight from huge amounts of data and a Masters or PhD background, we think you’ll feel right at home as one of our Data Scientists.
What do our Data Scientists do?
- Identify when we can apply statistical or machine-learning techniques to improve business performance and
- Build models, design statistical experiments and report these findings to senior stakeholders
- Help us to evaluate new products or processes
- Work collaboratively with the entire business to make changes
What are we looking for?
We hire individuals, not box tickers. You don’t have to have studied a particular subject; who knew what they wanted to be when they first started university? The graduates we find do best in our application process and beyond when they join us on a scheme typically demonstrate:
- A Masters or PhD background with experience in large set data analysis
- An analytical mind set and the ability to break down complex problems and identify great solutions
- A passion for doing the right thing for customers
- An obsession with technology and a good grasp of programming if they are applying for a technical role
- Bags of personality with entrepreneurial flair
We treat our graduates right – after all, one of you could be our future CEO. That’s why our graduate salaries start at £32,000. We also offer a generous £5,000 signing on bonus, as well as an annual performance related bonus.
It’s not just about the pound signs though. We like to make sure our associates are well looked after – in every sense. Here’s how:
- 25 day’s holiday and option to buy up to 5 extra days
- Group personal pension scheme
- Private medical, dental and life assurance plans
- Interest-free travel season ticket loans and cycle to work scheme
- Employee discount scheme at high street retailers
- Free on-site gym and subsidised restaurant
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!