Graduate Manufacturing Engineering Scheme
Caterpillar is a global leader in the field of small and medium sized industrial diesel engines, with manufacturing facilities in the UK, US, Brazil, India and China.
We have exciting opportunities within the Manufacturing Engineering department for graduates who want to be part of our global business. In order to develop and progress a successful engineering career, we provide the necessary resources, freedom and support to those who flourish on being challenged whilst working in a rapidly changing environment with a multitude of opportunities available throughout our business.
As part of the Manufacturing Engineering team graduate engineers will be working on many diverse and strategically important business projects, such as process improvements, work standardisation, capital equipment investment, new product introduction and lean / quality initiatives.
Lasting two years in duration, the development scheme gives you the opportunity to develop your skills and knowledge as you move through different areas of Manufacturing Engineering and other areas of the business. Placements can vary in length but typically last 6 months majoring on Manufacturing Engineering disciplines:
- Manufacturing Advanced Planning
- Operations Manufacturing Engineering
- Machining operations
- Main engine assembly
- Engine hot test
- Engine painting and finishing
- Controls engineering
There will be an opportunity for you to also work in other departments for example: Operations and Quality, Design and Mechanical Development and Product Management
As well as technical placements our graduates are given project leadership experience to grow your portfolio and experience. Whilst on placement you are given the support and coaching required to develop your technical capability and business understanding. Within a short period of time you will become an embedded team member within the Manufacturing Engineering department, and will be accountable for delivering key engineering responsibilities. At the end of the Graduate Scheme, we will work with you to find suitable but demanding roles in key business areas.
Who are we looking for?
Applicants should be able to demonstrate teamwork, professionalism and an enthusiasm for engineering. You should be comfortable with gathering data followed by thorough analysis to aid decision making, and have demonstrated planning and organisational skills. A desire to succeed and develop is vital.
Skills/Experience/Key competencies required:
- Highly innovative and self-motivated
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes and design for assembly / manufacturing practices
- Desire to question ensuring technically cost effective designs and solutions
- Potential to be a technical leader within Caterpillar
- Ability to communicate at all levels of the business
- Demonstrated presentations skills
- Business finances awareness
- Good communication skills both written and verbal
- Ability to work effectively as part of a global team as well as on own initiative
- Strong planning, organising and problem solving skills
- Able and willing to travel and engage different cultures
- Ideally possess at least a basic knowledge of engines
- Proficient using MS Office suite and ideally skilled in the use of design packages (AutoCAD, Creo)
Degree Disciplines Accepted: (providing a 2:1 is achieved)
- Manufacturing Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering
- Mechanical and Electrical Engineering
- Automotive Engineering
- Robotics and Mechatronics
Other technical degrees considered if relevant
How to apply:
Please complete an online application by clicking 'Apply Online'.
Please only apply for one discipline. You will be given the option of applying for a second discipline during the application process. If you apply for multiple disciplines you will not be considered for all applications.
Caterpillar is an equal opportunity employer
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!