Commercial Sales & Marketing
Who are Caterpillar
Caterpillar Shrewsbury Limited is part of Caterpillar’s Industrial Power Systems Division. Employing over 250 people, the site is responsible for the sales, design, development, manufacture and remanufacture of heavy duty diesel engine, transmission and powertrain products for a variety of specialist applications, from Defence applications to Rail engines.
With a variety of new Commercial opportunities for tracked and wheeled military powertrains in particular, there are exciting opportunities for a 12 month placement student within the Commercial team.
Our Defence team focuses on understanding current and future market and customer needs, analysing opportunities and defining the brand and product positioning. It maintains relationships with existing customers whilst winning new business with global customers. It sounds easy, and we have an enviable record of success on both counts, but the real challenge is to keep us where we are – at the forefront of the Defence Powertrain sector.
What experiences can we offer you?
You will undertake a 12 month placement in different functional areas of Sales, Marketing, Customer Support and Account Management. Within each placement we look to develop solid personal learning and development experiences, combined with formal developmental training. At the same time we look to the placement student to deliver solid business contributions. These may be as part of a 6 Sigma team, Project team, shaping and delivering a sales conference or developing a sales proposition in support of a customer visit or public tender submission. Given the global focus of our business, placements can sometimes include overseas travel on occasions.
Throughout this process you will have the opportunity to draw on support and guidance as necessary from our Placement Manager and an assigned mentor.
We have previous graduates in leadership positions and in key roles across each functional areas of our teams. With over 90,000 employees globally, Caterpillar provides broad career opportunities and a diverse work environment.
You could find yourself working in several exciting areas during the placement:
- Web-based Marketing
- Taking a lead role in maximising the Global Powertrain presence on intranet and internet sites
- Trade Publications
- Analysing printed and on-line media; collating Industry News, tracking major Defence programmes, distributing and logging key information
- Market Research
- Reviewing market data , collating regional reports, recommending which key geographic areas we should pursue … and why
- Show / Exhibition support
- Helping to design, plan, expedite and support regional exhibitions and seminars
- Completing Technical Analysis
- Assessing performance criteria of customers looking to Caterpillar to provide innovative drivetrain solutions for new and existing vehicle platforms
- Public Tendering & Procurement
- Creating links to online portals, log advertised contracts, monitor and follow-up
- Supporting contract / tender submissions, ensuring both Commercial and Technical compliance
- Cat Dealer Network Support
- Helping to develop the Cat dealer to maximise sales and revenues
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for an individual from either of two different backgrounds:
- Those with strong technical backgrounds to work mainly in technical sales and customer liaison, within areas such as applications engineering;
- Those with a less technical background who can develop their experience in areas such as marketing planning, engines or parts sales, parts marketing, pricing or market intelligence.
The technical route requires an Engineering-related degree. Others need a Business Studies, Marketing or similar qualification. We will consider degrees outside these if individuals show some technical competence and a willingness to learn.
How To Apply:
Please only apply for one discipline. You will be given the option of applying for a second discipline during the application process. If you apply for multiple disciplines you will not be considered for all applications.
Caterpillar is an equal opportunity employer.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!