12 Month Industrial Placement - Engineering Project Management
Who are Caterpillar?
We are the world's leading manufacturer of Construction and Mining Equipment, and one of the world’s most respected Companies and Brands in the World. By following our industrial placement scheme, you will be able to explore various roles and disciplines around the business to help develop your career. Our core values (Integrity, Excellence, Teamwork, Commitment and Sustainability) are key to our success.
Caterpillar’s Industrial Power Systems Division, is responsible for the design, development, manufacture and remanufacture of heavy duty diesel engine and powertrain products for a variety of specialist applications, from locomotives to main battle tanks.
What experiences can we offer you?
Working within the New Product Introduction (NPI) Team, you will be contributing to the planning and management of a range of engineering projects. You will be collaborating with different departments, such as manufacturing, supply chain and operations across the UK and America.
You will receive training on the Caterpillar New Product Introduction (NPI) processes, and will be supported by experienced Project Leaders and Engineers throughout the placement. One of the biggest benefits of a role within NPI at a facility such as Shrewsbury is the potential width of relevant responsibility over a short period of time combined with variety.
During your placement you will have the opportunity to work in the following areas:
Planning and Profiling:
- Creation and maintenance of project plans, including labour and material costs. Supporting work may include taking the lead at planning sessions.
- Working closely with the Applications, Design and Development Teams (both in the UK and US) throughout the planning process to ensure the robustness of project plan content.
- Creating a costed proposal for the planned activity, ensuring all aspects are covered and risk areas are highlighted
- Assisting the Project Leader in ensuring tasks are completed on time and to budget
- Updating project plans to reflect current and future workload
- Analysis of data and preparation of spend reports, detailing forecast cost to completion and recovery actions required
- Presenting project updates to Management Team on a regular basis
Who are we looking for?
We’re looking for proactive people who can show us a highly participative working style, and who thrive in a team of committed professionals. Good communication and interpersonal skills are required to interact with people from the business at all levels.
Applicants should be studying for a degree in one of the following areas and be on track for a 2:1 or above:
- Mechanical Engineering
- General Engineering
- Business/Engineering Management
- Management Studies
- Leadership & Management
Applicants studying a business related degree should have a genuine interest in engineering or have completed a project management module as part of your course.
Applicants studying an engineering degree should be aware that you will be able to enrol on our Monitored Professional Development Scheme (MPDS) which will enable you to count your placement with us as part of your preparation for Professional Registration with the Engineering Council (IEng or CEng).
- Flexibility to manage multiple priorities and prepared to take responsibility for completion of a project against challenging timescales
- Excellent PC skills with specific knowledge of Microsoft Office Applications such as Microsoft Powerpoint and Excel
- Microsoft project experience is desirable but not essential
We will provide you the training and support you need to be successful at Caterpillar.