Student Lean Engineer
Delphi is one of the world’s largest automotive technology companies and a world leader in the innovation, design, application and manufacture of diesel fuel injection equipment. Gillingham is an Operational and Technical Centre site covering both Research and Development, and Manufacturing.
The project scope is flexible depending on the individual, but will be based in manufacturing and is likely to include some or all of the following:
- Provide process support to Manufacturing operations, to achieve Safety, Quality, Volume, Cost metrics.
- Work with Operational support Engineers to implement standard work (Cyclic & Non cyclic), cell and line rebalancing.
- Collect, extract and investigate data for SPQVC system to aid project selection and daily shop floor reviews.
- Support lean manufacturing improvement activities within operations.
- Lost time management and hourly monitoring – investigating losses in cells.
- Lean layout and operating design.
- Implementing 5S.
Students will gain excellent experience in the role of a professional engineer in a large business by working as part of the Lean Engineering function, supporting operations in lean manufacturing initiatives and problem solving.
- Understanding of manufacturing / manufacturing systems (preferred)
- Personal strengths should include: Customer focused, attention to detail, self-confidence, goal orientated, personal initiative, good communication and team working
- Ability to work in a structured, organised manner
- Analytical and data literate, and be able to present data clearly and concisely
- Good level of IT knowledge of Excel (advanced Excel preferred), MS word, Powerpoint.
- Ability to work under pressure on multiple tasks and support the business where needed
A flexible and willing attitude is essential because students will regularly find themselves encountering new situations, whilst often needing to undertake routine work.
Hours of work, 37per week
7.30am –4:00pm Mon, 7.30am –3:30pm Tues to Thurs, 7.30am – 2.30 pm Friday.
½ hour lunch break
In addition to statutory holidays, students receive 25 days paid holiday in a full 12 month calendar period, pro-rata for shorter periods.
Annual Salary: £15,000
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!