Defence and Security Analysis Graduate
Are you passionate about delivering highly rewarding research to help protect the UK and our armed forces from real world threats, both at home and abroad?
Our Defence & Security Analysis Division supports the Ministry of Defence and Other Government Departments to ensure intelligent decision-making is at the heart of the UK Defence and Security.
We work with partners in industry, academia and internationally to develop and provide a broad range of impartial, innovative, evidence based analysis and human science advice to support high priority decision-making on critical policies and capabilities.
The breadth and impact of our work ranges from supporting front line commands and the design and procurement of essential battle winning air, land and maritime platforms and critical joint enablers through to supporting the development and delivery of strategic Defence policy and the wider Government’s counter terrorism strategy.
We develop innovative analytical tools and techniques to take advantage of new advances in science and technology, and provide experienced human and social science advice to maximise the performance of whole systems across MOD and Government.
You’ll be supporting the delivery of technical work for our customers from the very start of your career at Dstl, working in project teams alongside other recent graduates, more senior staff and technical authorities to deliver high impact advice to customers.
We will support your career development with a two year graduate programme including;
- Training modules to build your technical ability.
- Talks and discussion groups led by some of our technical authorities
- On the job and course based training to develop your knowledge of defence & security capabilities.
- Personal skills development
- Networking with other graduates, both in our division and across Dstl.
- You will develop a thorough grounding in working across defence to enable you to flourish.
You will work on a dynamic collection of projects, contributing to a diverse team of specialists delivering critical scientific, analytical and technical advice and solutions.
You will support the development of vital defence capabilities and push them to their limits, using creativity and innovation to solve real-world problems for real-world customers.
You will be developing and using novel analytical tools and techniques to assist your customers with their decision-making. You will undertake pioneering research and experimentation, helping to invest in high-risk, high-payoff innovative technologies. We work at the forefront of defence and security research and innovation, which is a dynamic and rapidly evolving environment. Quite simply, this is work that you cannot do anywhere else.
Your work will be delivered in a variety of methods including:
- Delivering specific work packages initially and building on these with experience
- Technical reports summarising complex scientific research and analysis for policy and decision makers
- Presenting vital scientific data to customers across the defence community
You will develop the skills needed to explain your results to diverse audiences and ensure their understanding. You will also develop networks with external partners, always ensuring we continue to deliver the technical quality expected of Dstl and maximising the value of our research.
We will embed you into a diverse team of deep technical specialists from multidisciplinary backgrounds. You will work with other team members, project managers and students in delivering an array of projects.
Where you will be based
The opportunities are based at one of the following Dstl core sites:
- Portsdown West, Fareham
- Porton Down, Salisbury
Travel opportunities to our other Dstl sites, customers, military sites, conferences and visits to external industry and academic partners, and occasional trips overseas will form part of your role.
Security Clearance Required
The security of our work means that only UK nationals who have also resided in the UK for the last 5 years (10 years for certain roles) can be considered. Unfortunately dual nationals are not eligible.
We embrace diversity and promote equality of opportunity. There is a guaranteed interview scheme (GIS) for individuals with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
We're seeking individuals with skills in Human and Social Sciences, Qualitative Analysis, Quantitative Analysis or a mixture of these. We also have a smaller requirement for applicants with Software Engineering experience.
Example skills, techniques and backgrounds that we need in these areas include:
- Human & Social Sciences: Psychology, Cognitive psychology, Ergonomics, Exercise Physiology, Sociology, Sports Science, Research Methods, Crime Science.
- Qualitative Analysis: Literature Reviews, Scenario Planning & Analysis, Facilitation, Running Focus Groups, Conducting Questionnaires & Interviews, Table-top Exercises and Wargames, Multi Criteria Analysis, Benefits Analysis
- Quantitative Analysis: Data collection & analysis, Modelling & Simulation, Optimisation & Linear Programming, Mathematical Modelling, Statistical Analysis, Data Science & Analytics, Data Visualisation
- Software Engineering: Software Design, Software Model Development, Data Engineering
We will need you to have relevant technical knowledge and experience gained from your degree, strong IT and communication skills with a flexible, adaptable and inquisitive approach to work.
With some knowledge of the role of defence when you begin, we will expect you to develop an understanding of the UK’s capabilities and the issues they face now and in the future.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!