Graduate Programme – Analyst
We have been at the heart of the energy industry earning our customers’ trust and respect for over 17 years.
So, what exactly do we do?
We compare how much electricity generators and suppliers say they will produce or consume with how much electricity they actually generated and supplied. After calculating these volumes, we work out a price for the imbalances and charge organisations accordingly. This involves taking 1.2 million meter readings every day and handling over £1.5 billion of our customers’ funds each year.
The rules are set out in the Balancing and Settlement Code (BSC). We administer the code, then provide and procure the services needed to implement it. We are funded by our customers, known as BSC Parties, and operate on a zero-profit basis. We are recognised throughout the industry as trusted, independent, reliable market experts and we play a key role encouraging energy industry change and discussion.
We are currently recruiting four graduates onto our 2018 graduate programme. The programme is a two-year programme comprising of four, six-month rotations in our London office. We are looking for final year students or graduates who want to begin a varied and challenging career in the electricity sector. Depending on your specific placement and team, you could work with data (often very large datasets), with external stakeholders, on business analysis and improvement projects, project coordination and management, and operational work with our technology systems.
The programme is designed to give you the best grounding in our business and start to your career and to ELEXON as a whole after finishing a university degree. As part of the graduate programme, you will have an overall training plan and sessions in addition to the actual practical development you gain during the placements. You will develop a high-level knowledge of the theory of the energy market as well as how the industry practically runs, including where we are going in five and ten years’ time.
The graduate programme lasts two years, if you are taken onto the programme, you will be hired as a permanent employee. After the graduate programme finishes, we will discuss with you your desired career path within ELEXON.
Although the majority of our placements are within teams in our operations department, you may have an opportunity to do a placement within our design and delivery department. Even though placements are chosen for you by the business, you will always have an opportunity to discuss possible placements, and will have some influence over where you might go. Each placement will have different types of work included as part of it and be varied in their own right. It’s worth saying although you need to be a “numbers person” to a certain extent, and comfortable with data, this programme is very far from a job where you will be analysing data all day, every day. You need to be able to learn and articulately discuss concepts and processes clearly and effectively. Writing ability is very important. You need to be comfortable working on projects and as part of a committee with varied and changing team members. You must be able to work constructively and confidently with a “can do” attitude but also be able to manage expectations of team members and stakeholders effectively.
Work on your placements could include, depending on the team you are placed in:
- Project documentation, coordination and management.
- Data validation, data analysis, modification and creation of reporting with data.
- Qualitative report writing.
- Project work within workgroups, panels, committees, often including industry body. stakeholders and/or suppliers who are external to ELEXON.
- Change and improvement to our business and the industry.
- Account management of our customers within very different businesses and business functions within the energy sector.
- Training of stakeholders in systems and processes, including design of training in new systems and processes.
- Audits and risk including root cause analysis.
- Research into new systems and processes, finding the best options of doing things.
- Monitoring, administration and reporting relating to data and information on stakeholder accounts, including settlements.
Because of the nature of the programme and placements, we have the following eligibility requirements to be considered:
- Minimum 2.2 or equivalent bachelor’s or master’s degree from a recognised university.
- Experience of working with data in an academic or professional capacity.
- Minimum six months demonstrable work and /or volunteering experience, open minded as to how this could look.
- Intermediate level of ability in Microsoft Excel, and willing to develop further.
- Numerically confident.
- Fluent in English, both verbal and written.
- Interest in business and business analysis as well as business improvement.
- Previous exposure to the energy industry is a plus but not essential.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service to valued external stakeholders.
- High attention to detail.
- Experience in delivering presentations (either academic or professional).
- Someone who strives to continuously improve and achieve excellence.
- Unrestricted right to live and work in the UK.
- Able to start work in early summer 2018.
In return, ELEXON can offer you a strong start to your career and unique opportunities.
Interested? Please apply with your CV and a brief cover note explaining your motivation to join ELEXON and the 2018 programme.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!