Strategic Communications - Graduate Scheme
FTI Consulting is a global business advisory firm, dedicated to helping organisations navigate and manage a diverse range of complex issues and business challenges. Our expertise covers the spectrum of Corporate Finance & Restructuring, Economic Consulting, Forensic & Litigation Consulting, Strategic Communications and Technology. We are a company of more than 4,600 professionals with annual revenues in excess of $1.8 billion, with offices located in every major business centre in the world.
Our professionals are some of the most experienced leaders in their fields, and advise across a range of industries. Our clients engage us for high-stakes concerns or emerging opportunities that require specialised expertise, and over the past two decades we have been engaged to work behind the headlines on some of the biggest news stories to date.
FTI Consulting is a fast growing and vibrant place to work. Steered by our values of Integrity, Creativity, Achievement, Empathy and Respect, its meritocratic culture invites both collaboration and healthy debate. We are large enough to be trusted by our clients to solve their biggest issues and yet small enough to know our colleagues on a personal level enabling better team working and a supportive culture to develop your career goals and ambitions. If you are interested in becoming part of a fast growing company and contributing to history-making engagements, read on.
About the Opportunity:
The Strategic Communications division of FTI Consulting (NYSE; FCN) is one of the world’s largest, most dynamic, and most highly regarded communications consultancies. During a varied graduate scheme at a leading firm, FTI Consulting offers the opportunity to gain a wealth of experience across corporate, financial and digital communications. By rotating through different sector teams, Consultants on our graduate scheme have the chance to gain exposure to an incredibly diverse roster of clients, from fast-growing start-ups to FTSE 100 industry leaders.
With more than 25 years’ of experience advising management teams through their communications needs, our teams of Consultants work closely with the businesses they advise by developing strategies to enhance, develop and defend their reputation and market share through the way they communicate with stakeholders and the public. Proactively positioning clients and building their public stories is key to our day-to-day work, and being on-hand with tested solutions and advice for crisis points is where our expertise adds value to the businesses we work with.
We have over 700 strategic communications consultants in more than 25 key markets and 14 countries around the world, with plans to grow further. We combine global reach with critical local knowledge. Our Consultants work with teams and their clients in London, with many projects offering the opportunity to gain exposure to businesses across the globe.
The Strategic Communications graduate scheme is a ten month scheme, and comprises of three rotations through three teams. We aim for all Consultants on our graduate scheme to be given exposure to both financial communications and corporate communications, with an opportunities to also rotate through our digital and public affairs practices. Right from the outset you will be able to engage and influence others, and think creatively on the spot.
We have industry specific teams across a wide variety of specialist sectors including financial services, retail, consumer, digital, energy, real estate, professional services, technology media telecoms (TMT), life sciences and public affairs.
Rotations in the different specialist teams will be chosen on the basis of your own interests and the needs of the teams.
Types of work you will be involved in:
- Research tasks for existing clients/pitch proposals
- Summary/analytical tasks, gauging audience and communications impact
- Press release writing
- Coverage round-ups and analysis
- Calls with journalists and sell-side analysts – selling in press releases/events/company results feedback In addition to the experience you will gain, we offer:
- A competitive salary, discretionary bonus and an extensive benefits package
- Industry specialist teams, allowing you to gain in-depth knowledge
- Excellent training and development opportunities throughout your career at FTI Consulting with a 10 month tailored curriculum for our Strategic Communications
- The opportunity to quickly progress to a Consultant following successful completion of the graduate scheme
In addition, there will be regular learning and development opportunities working alongside leading advisers in the industry and with specialist client teams. You will also have the opportunity to take part in the mentoring programme.
To make sure that you get the most out of the scheme you will be supported throughout the scheme by your performance coach and buddies in each of your rotations in addition to your Human Resources team.
What we look for:
- 2:1 degree (or equivalent) and the equivalent of ABB at A-Level
- Some relevant work experience
- Outstanding communication and people skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Creative thinking
- Proactivity and initiative taking
We also want our Consultants to be enthusiastic about the opportunities and challenges that lie ahead. Consultants who can demonstrate flexibility, and prove their ability to succinctly grasp and summarise complex issues to their peers and clients are essential to our business.
We are looking for ambitious and dynamic graduates to join our September 2018 intake.
Overview of the Application Process and Important Additional Information Required:
1. Submit your covering letter, CV and your answers to the following selection questions in a supporting document:
a) Are you available to attend an assessment day in March/April 2018?
b) Are you available for a 2 week internship between March and July 2018?
c) Would you be able to begin full time employment at the start of September 2018?
d) Do you have a minimum of AAB (320 UCAS points) in your top 3 subjects at A-level?
e) Do you have or are you expecting to achieve a 2:1 or above in your undergraduate university degree or equivalent?
f) In no more than 500 words please give a brief overview of your understanding of Strategic Communications and the different areas within this specialism.
g) Who do you consider to be the main competitors for FTI Consulting and specifically our Strategic Communications practice?
h) Explain in no more than 800 words how a specific company could have benefited from Strategic Communications advice in the last 12 months. Please try and use an example which covers more than one of the Strategic Communications service areas.
Please note that the above questions are mandatory and only candidates who submit answers will be considered.
2. If you have been successful we will invite you to a telephone interview within 6 weeks of receiving your application
3. Successful candidates will be invited to attend an Assessment Day at our offices in London. Over the course of the day you will complete group and individual assessments and interview with members of the Strategic Communications practice
4. Successful candidates will be offered a role on our graduate scheme
5. Those candidates will attend a two week internship at our offices in London
6. The start date will be in early September 2018
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!