IT Service Desk- Year Placement
G-Research is a leading quantitative research and technology company. We use scientific techniques, big data and world-class technology to predict future movements in financial markets, and we develop the platform to deploy these ideas globally across multiple asset classes.
Our investment research, software and IT Systems are used to:
- Evaluate, forecast and simulate investment ideas
- Test for and control risk in investment portfolios
- Maximise investment returns across a range of markets and products
We offer a dynamic, flexible and highly stimulating working environment, where good ideas are prized and rewarded correspondingly. This is a fantastic opportunity to put your computing theory into practice in a vibrant, growing and ambitious company.
The successful candidate will work as a member of the IT Service Desk team alongside colleagues who will be able to assist you during your placement with advice, troubleshooting, training and project work. This is primarily a first line support role in a company with very few user related issues; this means the learning opportunities are huge. As a part of this role there is also a chance to work focusing on estate wide desktop and server OS deployment. This role will suit someone who has a real interest in IT and an aptitude for applying computing concepts and their skills to solve real problems.
What happens when you join?
Initially you will undertake one to two weeks of internal training to learn about our IT systems and infrastructure. You’ll be mentored by an existing team member who will be seated near you to answer questions and guide you. After this initial period is completed you will begin to help out as a member of the team, and integrate with the various shift patterns.
The ideal student will have strong grades at either A-levels or BTEC, be studying a Computer Science or related degree and be on track for a 1st or 2.1. One thing all successful candidates have in common is a motivation to use technology, new concepts and new ideas to solve complicated problems.
What will you learn?
- How to manage your time and work flow within a professional environment
- By attending frequent meetings and discussions you will gain an insight into the new technologies being used across a cutting edge financial institution and as how the upgrades improve our existing IT infrastructure
- This is a practical role where you will put theories and ideas you have studied at university into practice, adding a practical layer of understanding to your knowledge
Enterprise level technical skills such as:
- Windows Administration
- IT Troubleshooting Skills
- Computer Infrastructure
- Networking Fundamentals
- Enterprise Architecture
- OS Fundamentals
- Linux & Unix Administration
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!