Operational Graduate Management Trainee Scheme
At Gist Limited we are constantly raising the standard in everything we do to achieve our vision of being the customer’s first choice for logistics innovation, excellence and partnership.
We recognise that the key to our success is our people. For us to deliver the best service to our customers, maintain a strong reputation and continue to grow we need to recruit and develop the right people.
What’s it like to be a Graduate at Gist?
Our Graduate Management Trainee schemes are designed to create our future business leaders. Gist’s CEO, Martin Gwynn, began on our Management Trainee Scheme. He was promoted to CEO at the age of 33 and continues to set the direction of the business today.
- As a Gist Graduate, you will complete two 12 month operational placements at two sites, providing you with first-hand experience of the business whilst having the opportunity to develop your leadership skills.
- The placements are designed to give you exposure to the key operational areas within our business, and could be working for any one of our customers with exposure to the warehouse and transport environments – all with the overall aim of developing your management capabilities.
- Due to the nature of our scheme you must be flexible with your location of employment for the duration of the scheme, as you could be based in any one of our numerous UK sites for each of your placements.
How will you become one of our future business leaders?
Development is important to Gist and underpins our graduate scheme. We offer a structured but uniquely tailored schedule of placements that will support your progression and development.
- Alongside the development that you will gain from your placements at site, you will also undergo a number of classroom-based training sessions to support your progression.
- You will be allocated a buddy a few months ahead of you joining, to help you get settled into life at Gist and your site. You will also be allocated a mentor from our senior management team who will be there to offer support and guidance on your career development within Gist.
What will you need to succeed?
We are looking for ambitious and enthusiastic graduates to join us, with the aspiration to become one of our future business managers within our operational business. Our aim is to recruit the best people with the best attitudes, and we will provide the necessary development for you to be successful on the scheme.
- You will need to be extremely driven and motivated, and have a real desire to make a difference.
- You will also need to share our passion for people, both as a team player and as a future senior manager in Gist.
- Experience of working in the logistics industry or a related degree is not essential; instead we are looking for people with a keen desire to learn and develop themselves.
- The job is not 9-5 and won’t be repetitive – you will be out and about, getting involved and really making an impact on the way we do things to constantly improve our performance. Geographic mobility is important, as well as the possession of a full driving licence and a car.
Where will Gist take you?
We are always focused on developing our people to enable them to reach their full potential. If you have the drive, aspiration and flexibility required, we can offer excellent development opportunities to ensure you build a successful and rewarding career with Gist.
- As you progress through the scheme, we ensure you are rewarded – by managing larger teams and taking on greater challenges.
- You will receive a starting salary of £26,500 with 25 days holiday, industry leading performance-related bonus scheme, pension scheme, AXA PPP health plan and the opportunity to undertake a paid charity placement.
- All of our graduates receive structured on-site and central training in people management and best operational practice, as well as regular performance reviews to ensure you are receiving the right support and opportunities.
- Over one fifth of our senior management team joined Gist on one of our Graduate Schemes. “It’s great to think that after less than 3 years with Gist on the Industrial Placement and Graduate Schemes, I now oversee a whole operation. It is clear that Gist is great for your development when you put in the hard work.” Chris, Contract Manager at our Maylands site. Rolled off Operational Graduate Management Trainee Scheme in May 2016.
- Gist Limited is a leading UK supply chain company with a history that spans over 100 years. With a turnover of €600m, we are a leading player in the perishable and chilled sector supporting some of the biggest names in the food and beverage industry. Our 5,000 employees operate from 40+ locations in the UK and continental Europe.
For more information about Gist please visit our website.
How to apply
We are keen to ensure our selection process gives you a clear insight into our business, but most importantly offers you a good understanding of the graduate scheme, what it is like to be a Gist graduate and what your future could look like with Gist. If you share our passion for people, are extremely driven and have an interest in becoming a future business leader with Gist, we look forward to receiving your application.
- After application screening, the next step is a competency based telephone interview with a member of our HR team.
- If successful you will then be asked to attend a half day depot day, which is your opportunity to find out more about life in an operational environment through a depot tour and Q&A session with some of our current Graduates, as well as for us to assess you in person through a competency based interview and a group exercise.
- The final stage is an Assessment Centre at our Head Office in Basingstoke and will include a dinner with a selection of our senior business leaders the evening before your full day Assessment Centre. The Assessment Centre will consist of a competency based interview, presentation exercise and a group exercise.
Applications open Monday 5th September 2016
If you have any queries, please get in touch.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!