Human Resources Industrial Placement
At Gist Limited we are constantly raising the standard in everything we do to achieve our vision of being the customer’s first choice for logistics innovation, excellence and partnership.
We recognise that the key to our success is our people. For us to deliver the best service to our customers, maintain a strong reputation and continue to grow we need to recruit and develop the right people.
What’s it like to be an Industrial Placement student at Gist?
Our Industrial Placement schemes are a year-long opportunity for university students on a four year sandwich course. The scheme offers students the chance to gain a strong start to their career by gaining valuable work experience within a thriving, fast-paced business.
- Our 12 month Industrial Placement scheme in HR offers you two 6 month placements – the first within our central HR Team based in our Head Office in Basingstoke, and the second within one of our operational depots supporting the local HR team.
- During your first placement with us, you will gain exposure to a variety of different areas in HR through your involvement in HR project work. You will take ownership for seeing project work through from creation to implementation, and engaging the wider business and HR team in delivering key objectives.
- Within your operational HR depot placement, you will support the local on-site HR team with day-to-day HR activities including recruitment, absence management and employee engagement initiatives, as well as assisting with wide HR projects.
- Due to the nature of our scheme you must be flexible with your location of employment, as you could be based in any one of our numerous UK sites for your second placement.
What will you need to succeed?
We are looking for ambitious and enthusiastic industrial placement students to join us. Our aim is to recruit the best people with the best attitudes and we provide the necessary development for you to be successful on the scheme.
- You will need to be extremely driven and motivated, and have a real desire to make a difference.
- You will also need to share our passion for people, both as a team player and as a future senior manager in Gist.
- The job is not 9-5 and won’t be repetitive – you will be out and about, getting involved and really making an impact on the way we do things to constantly improve our performance. Geographic mobility is important, as well as the possession of a full driving licence and a car.
Where will Gist take you?
We are always focused on developing our people to enable them to reach their full potential. If you have the drive, aspiration and flexibility required, we can offer you excellent development opportunities.
- If you have a successful year with us, you will have the opportunity to be fast-tracked onto our Human Resources Graduate Management Trainee Scheme.
- You will receive a salary of £17,000 with 25 days holiday; there is also a discretionary performance-related bonus scheme, pension scheme and healthcare.
- The scheme offers a structured but uniquely tailored schedule with planned training interventions that support your individual progression and development.
- You will be allocated a buddy a few months before you start, to help you get settled into life at Gist. You will also be allocated a mentor from our senior management team who will be there to offer support and guidance on your career development for the duration of your time on the scheme.
- Gist Limited is a leading UK supply chain company with a history that spans over 100 years. With a turnover of €600m, we are a leading player in the perishable and chilled sector supporting some of the biggest names in the food and beverage industry. Our 5,000 employees operate from 40+ locations in the UK and continental Europe.
For more information about Gist please visit our website.
“I love being able to have an input into different parts of the team as it allows me to understand what each department does. I also enjoy being able to get out and about to different sites, each site is very different so it’s enjoyable being able to move around and get a feel for the different depots.” Hannah, Industrial Placement in HR 2015/2016.
How to apply
We are keen to ensure our selection process gives you a clear insight into our business, but most importantly offers you a good understanding of the Industrial Placement scheme, what it is like to be a Gist Industrial Placement student and how to make the most of your 12 months with us.
- If you share our passion for people, are extremely driven and want to develop yourself with Gist, we look forward to receiving your application.
- After application screening the next step is a competency based telephone interview with a member of our HR team.
- If successful, the final stage is an Assessment Centre that will take place at our Foods site in Thatcham on Thursday 24th November 2016. The day will consist of a competency based interview, presentation exercise and a group exercise.
- Please note, we are only able to accept applications from candidates who are able to commit to both the confirmed Assessment Centre date and a start date of September 2017.
If you have any queries, please get in touch.
Applications open Monday 5th September 2016
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!