Logistics Management Graduate Scheme
At Gist, we pride ourselves in transforming supply chains, with a proven track record spanning 50 years. Our vision is to be our customers’ first choice for logistics, innovation, excellence and partnership. Our customers include Starbucks, EAT, Marks and Spencer, Tesco, Morrisons and 2 Sisters Food Group.
We are always focused on developing our people to enable them to reach their full potential and our Graduate schemes are designed to create our future business leaders. If you have the drive, aspiration and flexibility required, we can offer excellent development opportunities to ensure you build a successful and rewarding career with Gist, just like our CEO, Martin Gwynn, who began on our Logistics Management Graduate Scheme. He was promoted to CEO at the age of 33 and continues to set the direction of the business today.
What’s it like to be a Graduate at Gist?
- The scheme consists of two twelve month operational placements at different sites within our UK network, providing first-hand experience of leading people and experiencing how our business operates.
- Our graduates join us as a Team Manager within one of our large Marks and Spencer food warehouses, taking responsibility for managing a shift and a team of up to 30 people. You will experience a full 24 hours operational cycle by supporting various shifts and operational peaks, including Christmas, all within the same site.
- Your development as a Team Manager will continue to develop throughout your second placement, where you will take on additional senior site management responsibilities. Your final placement is your opportunity to hone your people management skills, as well as to further develop your commercial and operational acumen.
- The placements are designed to give you exposure to the key operational areas within our business, and could be working for any one of our customers with exposure to the warehouse and transport environments – all with the overall aim of developing your management capabilities.
The environment is fast-paced and not your normal 9-5. You will be required to work shifts, nights and weekends in order to ensure that our operation continues to deliver for our customer.
Due to the nature of our scheme you must be flexible with your location of employment for the duration of the scheme, as you could be based in any one of our numerous UK sites for each of your placements.
Throughout your time with Gist you will receive training and development in order to set you up for success. The programmes are designed to equip you with the knowledge, best practice, skills and techniques to develop your capabilities. This will be delivered in conjunction with your regular progress meetings to ensure you are working towards a career plan that meets your needs and aspirations.
- You will gain real management responsibility from day one, rapid progression, industry leading training and coaching.
- All of our graduates receive structured on-site and central training in people management and best operational practice, as well as regular performance reviews to ensure you are receiving the right support and opportunities.
- You will be allocated a buddy a few months ahead of you joining, to help you get settled into life at Gist and your site. You will also be allocated a mentor from our senior management team who will be there to offer support and guidance on your career development within Gist.
- With over one fifth of our senior management team coming from our graduate scheme, our schemes have been setting graduates up for success for a number of years.
“Throughout my career at Gist I have worked in a huge variety of different roles, from a night-shift warehouse team manager to a project manager working in France. Currently, I have the overall responsibility for the transport function at our Barnsley site, and look after a team of 142.” Jen, Logistics Manager at our Barnsley site. Rolled off the Logistics Management Graduate Scheme in 2015.
What will you need to succeed?
- We are looking for driven and engaging industrial placement students to join us.
- You aim to be a senior leader in our business and constantly look to develop yourself on that journey.
- You will thrive in a fast paced and challenging business which will see you succeed when pushed out of your comfort zone.
- You are credible, engaging and driven natural leader who is able to take a team on a journey with a shared goal.
- You proactively look to transform, adapt and improve things around you. You want to exceed expectations
- Change isn’t a scary word for you. You thrive on new challenges, new people and pick things up quickly and effectively.
- People are your focus and you roll your sleeves up when a team needs to come together.
What can Gist offer you?
- As you progress through the scheme, we ensure you are rewarded – by managing larger teams and taking on greater challenges.
- You will receive a starting salary of £26,500 (increasing to £30,000 in year 2) with 25 days holiday, industry leading performance-related bonus scheme, pension scheme, AXA PPP health plan and the opportunity to undertake a paid charity placement.
- We know that moving could be worrying and stressful– we give you time to find the right place and pay for up to two weeks in a hotel near your new site
- Whether it’s personal or professional, the Employee Assistance Helpline offers counselling, financial and legal advice as well as an online health portal
- The opportunity to take a two week paid charity placement
- 25 days holiday
- Discretionary performance-related bonus scheme
- Pension scheme
- Gist 4 Me—offering great discounts across retail and leisure outlets
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!