Business & Strategy Industrial Placement
At Gist, we pride ourselves in transforming supply chains, with a proven track record spanning 50 years. Our vision is to be our customers’ first choice for logistics, innovation, excellence and partnership. Our customers include Starbucks, EAT, Marks and Spencer, Tesco, Morrisons and 2 Sisters Food Group.
We are always focused on developing our people to enable them to reach their full potential and our Graduate schemes are designed to create our future business leaders. If you have the drive, aspiration and flexibility required, we can offer excellent development opportunities to ensure you build a successful and rewarding career with Gist, just like our CEO, Martin Gwynn, who began on our Logistics Management Graduate Scheme. He was promoted to CEO at the age of 33 and continues to set the direction of the business today.
What’s it like to be an Industrial Placement student at Gist?
Our Industrial Placement schemes are a year-long opportunity for penultimate- year university students as part of their four or five year sandwich-degree course. The scheme offers students the chance to gain a strong start to their career by gaining valuable work experience within a thriving, fast-paced business.
- As a Business and Strategy Industrial Placement student you will work within our Consulting team, based within our Head Office in Basingstoke.
- Our Consultants are a team of innovative and strategic experts who work with current or potential customers to transform their supply chains, using cutting-edge technology and solutions. The result for our customers includes reducing costs, improving the efficiency of their operations and which often leads to better environmental performance.
- Your role will be to support the wider team with data analysis, for example analysing customer driver patterns, delivery windows or order peaks. The type of work you would be involved in would vary from project to project, but would mainly focus on extracting and collating data to support the design process of part or all of the suggested supply chain solution.
“The Business and Strategy placement allowed me to work on a diverse range of projects with managers from across the business. I loved the analytical focus of the role and I knew I wanted to return to Gist. I am now a Business Process Manager, working in the project team setting up a new Gist site. ” Jade, Business and Strategy Industrial Placement student 2014/2015.
What will you need to succeed?
- We are looking for driven and engaging industrial placement students to join us.
- You aim to be a senior leader in our business and constantly look to develop yourself on that journey.
- You will thrive in a fast paced and challenging business which will see you succeed when pushed out of your comfort zone.
- You are credible, engaging and driven natural leader who is able to take a team on a journey with a shared goal.
- You proactively look to transform, adapt and improve things around you. You want to exceed expectations
- Change isn’t a scary word for you. You thrive on new challenges, new people and pick things up quickly and effectively.
- People are your focus and you roll your sleeves up when a team needs to come together.
- The job is not 9-5 and won’t be repetitive – you will be out and about, getting involved and really making an impact on the way we do things to constantly improve our performance. Geographic mobility is important, as you could be placed at any one of our sites for your second placement, as well as the possession of a full driving licence and a car.
What can Gist offer you?
Throughout your time with Gist you will receive training and development in order to set you up for success. The programmes are designed to equip you with the knowledge, best practice, skills and techniques to develop your capabilities. This will be delivered in conjunction with your regular progress meetings to ensure you are working towards a career plan that meets your needs and aspirations.
- You will receive a salary of £17,000 with 25 days holiday; there is also a discretionary performance-related bonus scheme, pension scheme and healthcare.
- You will be allocated a buddy a few months before you start, to help you get settled into life at Gist. You will also be allocated a mentor from our senior management team who will be there to offer support and guidance on your career development for the duration of your time on the scheme.
- We know that moving could be worrying and stressful– we give you time to find the right place and pay for up to two weeks in a hotel near your new site
- Whether it’s personal or professional, the Employee Assistance Helpline offers counselling, financial and legal advice as well as an online health portal
- The opportunity to take a two week paid charity placement
- 25 days holiday
- Discretionary performance-related bonus scheme
- Pension scheme
- Gist 4 Me—offering great discounts across retail and leisure outlets
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!