Glasgow Caledonian University
Glasgow Caledonian University (GCU) is a vibrant multi-cultural modern university in the centre of Glasgow. Our welcoming community of 20,000 students from more than 100 countries enjoys a wide range of award-winning support services and state of the art facilities. Positioned as the University for the Common Good, GCU has a distinct and defining mission to deliver social benefit at home and overseas through education, research and social innovation. Our Chancellor is Nobel Peace Prize Winner and global anti-poverty campaigner Professor Muhammad Yunus.
Combined with our platinum-award winning eco-friendly campus (Ecocampus, 2015) and wide range of accreditations and industry links, it is no surprise that we have a graduate employment rate of 96% (HESA, 2016). As the first Changemaker Campus in Scotland (Ashoka U, 2015), GCU is also a leader in widening access and is ranked 1st for both research power and graduate completion rates in Scotland within modern universities (HESA, 2014).
In today’s fast-moving and demanding world, gaining a postgraduate qualification is a very smart career move, opening new and exciting career opportunities - and one that may enable you to earn up to 24% more (UK Government, Department for Business, Skills and Innovation, Graduate Labour Market Statistics (GLMS), 2016). Not only that, GCU’s stimulating, vibrant and accessible environment for learning, teaching and applied research has also resulted in 96% of our graduates in employment or further study within 6 months (HESA, 2016). This combined with our commitment to the Common Good, means that there really is no better choice for developing your career than GCU. GCU is an excellent choice for postgraduates – offering a range of innovative options in both taught programmes and research, across our three specialist schools: School of Engineering and Built Environment, Glasgow School for Business and Society, School of Health and Life Sciences.
Following our outstanding results in the Research Excellence Framework, we are proud to be Scotland’s top modern university by research power. GCU is ranked in the UK top 20 for allied health research and for research impact in the built environment. Our academics think differently and challenge policymakers and business leaders to do the same, working across disciplines and international borders, wielding expertise in applied health, gender budgeting, social work, equality and social justice to change the lives of the most vulnerable members of society here and across the world.
Our research is carried out in Glasgow, London and New York by our Research Institutes and key centres of excellence, including the Centre for Living, the Centre for Climate Justice, the Yunus Centre for Social Business and Health, the Wise Research Centre and the Fair Fashion Center at GCU New York, inspiring students through knowledge transfer and supporting GCU’s mission as the University for the Common Good. Glasgow Caledonian University GCU is also a partner in several Scottish Government-funded collaborative Innovation Centres, including the Oil and Gas Innovation Centre, the Construction Scotland Innovation Centre, CENSIS, DataLab and the Digital Health and Care Institute.
Our modern and vibrant Glasgow campus hosts an array of cutting edge facilities including:
- Saltire Centre – a multi award-winning, modern learning environment that is the hub of campus and home to the university library
- A number of brand new, state of the art student social and study spaces in our George Moore building, which is also home to Campus Life, our student support services
- 1,800 study places
- 2,135 computer workstations available across our library, study spaces and halls of residence
- 24-hour computer lab
- Industry-leading eMotion lab, fashion factory, HD TV and radio studios, Vision Centre – GCU’s state-of-the-art eye clinic, and Scotland’s first ever interprofessional simulation centre, for use by nursing students
- The MUGA – GCU's outdoor activity area for sports including, tennis, football, volleyball and netball
- Nutrition and dietetics lab
- Simulated surgical theatre
- Flexible space for group and individual work, from conference rooms to learning pods
- The latest in virtual-learning environments
- The Arc, GCU’s on campus health and wellbeing centre
- Award winning Students’ Association, complete with student bistro
- Free Wi-Fi
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!