Bus Graduate Programme
On Go Ahead’s two-year bus management graduate programme you won’t be spending much time behind a desk! It’s important for you to experience all parts of our business, so you’ll learn about different areas of operations management by being immersed in a garage or depot environment and working collaboratively with our drivers and team members. You’ll first learn to drive a bus, after all that’s what our business is all about.
The role is hands-on – we trust our employees so you’ll be given plenty of work to do, with real responsibility and not just shadowing others. You’ll be involved in a number of projects and be personally accountable for making sure they are completed. It’s also incredibly varied – you can expect shift-work, and you may be in the driving seat of a bus one day and coordinating a project the next. You’ll be making big decisions that will immediately impact the people travelling on our network each day.
Your career is important to us; we see you as the next generation of Go-Ahead leaders, so we offer mentoring and support to ensure your development. Realistically, we expect you to become a senior manager, such as an operations manager, within five years.
Have you got what it takes to be part of a world where every journey is taken care of? If yes, please read the key requirements below and then apply today.
- Minimum of a 2:2 honours degree in any subject
- Full UK driving licence
- Flexibility to complete short placements in other Go-Ahead locations including international opportunities
- A passion for the transport and bus industry
- The unrestricted right to work in the UK
What we are looking for:
- A positive attitude and the ability to inspire confidence in and motivate others
- Resilience; our industry can be tough so we need future leaders who are up for the challenge
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills - clear, concise and engaging
- A customer focus, keen to deliver for Go-Ahead’s vast network of bus users
- The ability to work with team members at all levels and deal with members of the public
- Forward-thinking, innovative ideas to drive the business forward
- Resilience and the ability to work in a high-pressure environment
- Skills in problem-solving, analysis and dealing with complex data
- Time management, methodical thinking, and an ability to prioritise and meet deadlines
- A collaborative approach – keen to share knowledge and skills
- A commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion
- Determination to succeed and develop yourself personally and professionally
About The Go-Ahead Group:
We are a leading provider of public transport in the UK bus and rail service sectors, delivering over one billion passenger journeys each year. Almost two million journeys take place per day on our bus network – as well as being London’s largest bus operator, we own eight regional UK bus companies. Currently a FTSE250 company employing 29,000 people across the country, we’re also expanding our international bus and rail portfolio. We are strong believers in local brands run by local management for local markets, and so are looking for motivated graduates who will grow and develop into our future operations managers and directors.
What Go-Ahead can offer you:
- A full induction to the Group and hosting operating company
- Membership to the Young Bus Managers’ Network
- Real responsibility – you’ll be managing teams, dealing with operational challenges and making significant decisions
- Full support from mentors and specialists to develop your operations management and leadership skills
- Opportunities to develop and excel – we spend £22million per year on training, so make the most of what is on offer
- Career progression – a senior manager role within five years
- Free travel on many of Go-Ahead’s services
Number of roles available: 7
Start date: September 2019
Location: Newcastle/Gateshead, Oxford, Norwich, London, Poole/South Coast, Brighton & Hove and Dublin.
Salary: £25,000 per annum
How to apply:
Apply online by submitting your CV and answering two open-ended questions. We will close the application form on 6th January 2019, however we process applications on a rolling basis so this date may be brought forward. Candidates can expect to undertake a video interview and an assessment centre as part of the recruitment process. Please apply as soon as you can!