Rail Graduate Programme
On Go-Ahead’s two-year rail management graduate programme you won’t be spending much time behind a desk! It’s important for you to experience all parts of our business, so you’ll learn about different areas of operations management by being immersed in several different train station environments and working collaboratively with our crew. We expect you to achieve the following:
- A thorough understanding about how our rail businesses work
- Understand the basics around operational safety and effectiveness
- Learn and experience what it means to lead people effectively
The role is hands-on – we trust our employees so you’ll be given plenty of work to do, with real responsibility and not just shadowing others. You’ll be involved in a number of projects and be personally accountable for making sure they are completed. It’s also incredibly varied – you can expect shift-work, hands-on engineering activities and project coordination. It’s varied in terms of location, too – you could be based anywhere on our network from Kings Lynn to London to Poole and anywhere in between. You’ll be making big decisions that will immediately impact our customers, who are travelling on our network each day.
Your career is important to us; we see you as the next generation of Go-Ahead leaders, so we offer mentoring and support to ensure your development.
Realistically, we expect you to become an operations manager after the programme (e.g. station manager, train crew manager or similar), then progressing into a senior manager role within the next five to seven years. Before you know it, you could be managing large teams of people and be responsible for the safe travel for hundreds of thousands of passengers.
Go-Ahead has ambitious plans to grow internationally, so the more flexible you can be in your career, the faster you will progress.
Have you got what it takes to be part of a world where every journey is taken care of? If yes, please read the key requirements below and apply today.
- Minimum 2:2 honours degree in any subject
- Commitment to relocate up to three times during the two-year programme
- A passion for the transport and rail industry
- The unrestricted right to work in the UK on a permanent basis
- This is a safety critical role. This means that a job offer will be conditional on a health assessment against defined criteria (e.g. vision, hearing, physical health) to ensure that you are fit to perform a task effectively and without risk to your own or others’ health and safety
What we are looking for:
- A positive attitude and the ability to inspire confidence in and motivate others
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills - clear, concise and engaging
- A customer focus, keen to deliver for Go-Ahead’s vast network of rail users
- The ability to work with team members at all levels and deal with members of the public
- Flexibility to relocate for three different placements (relocation bonus is provided)
- Forward-thinking, innovative ideas to drive the business forward
- Resilience and the ability to work in a high-pressure environment
- Skills in problem-solving, analysis and dealing with complex data
- Time management, methodical thinking, and an ability to prioritise and meet deadlines
- A collaborative approach – keen to share knowledge and skills
- A commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion
- Determination to succeed and develop yourself personally and professionally
About The Go-Ahead Group:
We are a leading provider of public transport in the UK bus and rail service sectors, delivering over one billion passenger journeys each year. Almost two million journeys take place per day on our bus network – as well as being London’s largest bus operator, we own eight regional UK bus companies. Currently a FTSE250 company employing 29,000 people across the country, we’re also expanding our international bus and rail portfolio. We are strong believers in local brands run by local management for local markets, and so are looking for motivated graduates who will grow and develop into our future operations managers and directors.
What Go-Ahead can offer you:
- A full induction to the Group and host train operating companies
- Membership to the Young Rail Professionals network and the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport
- Real responsibility – you’ll be managing teams, dealing with operational challenges and making significant decisions
- Full support from mentors and specialists to develop your operations management and leadership skills
- Opportunities to develop and excel – we spend £22million per year on training, so make the most of what is on offer
- Career progression – a senior manager role within five to seven years
- Free travel on Go-Ahead services
Number of roles available: 5
Start date: September 2019
Location: Anywhere on the GTR and Southeastern rail networks
Salary: £25,000 plus placement relocation bonus
How to apply:
Apply online by submitting your CV and answering two open-ended questions. We will close the application form on 6th January 2019, however we process applications on a rolling basis so this date may be brought forward. Candidates can expect to undertake a video interview and an assessment centre as part of the recruitment process. Please apply as soon as you can!