Glasgow VAT Tax Graduate (Autumn 2019)
Job Description Summary:
Looking for a fulfilling career? One that can have a wider impact on society? At Grant Thornton, that's precisely what we offer. A career where you can have your ideas implemented. Your opinions heard. Your contributions valued. Not just by your colleagues, but by coveted clients. And the opportunity to inspire changes that can be felt wider than our business, helping us achieve our bold and ambitious vision of shaping a vibrant economy for the UK and beyond. It's a compelling mix. So bring your passion, ambitions and inspiration, and together let’s make it happen.
As a trainee in VAT you'll help manage clients' global indirect tax risks which, as transactional taxes, can quickly become big liabilities. Your area of focus will be on indirect taxes as UK VAT, international VAT and GST (Goods and Service Tax), and customs duties. You'll work with colleagues across a variety of offices to help clients understand their indirect tax position, better manage their tax risk, help improve their cash flow and find efficiencies through better processes, systems and controls.
As a graduate in tax, you'll join us on a three year programme to become a professionally qualified business adviser.
What you'll be doing:
- You'll get challenging on-the-ground experience in the two parts of tax advice – compliance and consultancy. Compliance is about helping clients meet their existing tax commitments and consultancy is about helping them operate in a more tax-efficient manner to make and save money.
- You'll be carrying out technical research, producing tax computations, preparing tax returns, advising clients on their tax requirements and negotiating with HM Revenue & Customs.
- You'll keep up to date with and monitor developments in UK and International tax regulation
- You'll study towards becoming ATT and afterwards CTA qualified so that you have the technical expertise and insight to advise our clients.
Who we're looking for:
- You should share our CLEARR values - Collaboration, Leadership, Excellence, Agility, Respect & Responsibility
- Independent thinkers who aren’t afraid to challenge or be challenged
- Always striving to grow yourself, you should be driven to succeed with the ability to see tasks through to the end and remain agile, even when things don’t go to plan
- Passionate about supporting, advising and helping all kinds of businesses achieve their potential. Able to analyse the numbers and back them up with strategic advice, you must be a great relationship builder who can inspire everyone around you with your energy and ideas. You should also work well with others and take ownership of the part you play.
We consider academic achievements, but your strengths, motivations and connection with us and our values are more important. We’re looking for people with a broad range of interests and experiences.
Applications for our graduate roles open 3rd September 2018. We will have filled the majority of roles by the end of February 2019. Final year undergraduate students or anyone with a degree can apply. We encourage applications from all degree disciplines.
At Grant Thornton, we are committed to creating a working environment where all colleagues are treated equally, where differences are understood and respected, and everyone feels valued and able to perform at their best. This is our aspiration.