Process Chemist Industrial Placement
One of the world’s leading healthcare companies, GSK discovers, develops, manufactures and distributes life-saving vaccines, prescription medicines and consumer health products such as Maxinutrition, Sensodyne, Savlon and Panadol.
The size and scope of our organisation allows our people to answer some of the biggest questions facing everyone on the planet – questions about future healthcare needs and questions about building a responsive, innovative, global business to meet them – as well as questions about their own personal and professional growth.
What does a Process Chemist industrial placement have to offer?
Keen to help us fight major diseases?
GlaxoSmithKline are pleased to offer an Industrial Placement Role working within a multi disciplinary team of chemists, analysts and engineers at one of our leading Global Manufacturing & Supply sites. Your role as a Process Development Chemist will give you valuable hands on experience for working in the field of synthetic organic chemistry. Key roles and responsibilities will include:
- Developing process improvements to existing manufacturing processes to maximise yields, reduce cycle times, processing costs and to minimise waste.
- Redevelop processes in order to improve process safety and maintain compliancy with modern REACH regulations.
- Improving process understanding and process robustness
- Synthesising novel analytical impurity standards.
- Supporting and troubleshooting processing issues encountered during the manufacture of commercial products.
- Supporting the technical transfer of new product introductions into the Montrose site.
During your 12 months placement you will gain valuable experience as an organic chemist including:
- The routine use of modern laboratory equipment including automated CLR equipment (LARA and ATLAS systems).
- Learning key laboratory procedures including reaction set up, distillations, crystallisations, drying, and column chromatography purification techniques.
- The use of search engines including SciFinder to conduct literature searches to aid process development.
- The use and interpretation of key analytical techniques including HPLC, NMR, LCMS, IR and Karl Fischer.
You will work with and learn from an experienced team of analysts and chemists who will coach and mentor you during your year to help you achieve your potential. We are looking for well-organised student whose passionate about organic chemistry and keen to work within a team setting to deliver world class drugs to our patients.
Please click below to find out more about our programmes, including a full list of requirements and how to apply.
Search for us on Facebook “GSK UK Students and Graduates”
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!