Finance Future Leader Programme
Finance within GSK:
Finance is all about using numbers to make a difference. It supports everything GSK does. By managing cost, cash and return on investment it ensures we maximize the value add from GSK’s resources.
The Finance function offers a unique perspective; an independent viewpoint from which to drive decision making and strategy across GSK’s operations. We pride ourselves on delivering excellence, being trusted advisors to our peers and driving continuous improvement and innovation. A career here promises to be challenging and varied, with a vast range of opportunities.
Is the Future Leader Programme for you?
Not only do we want to find the right candidate, we want you to choose a scheme that’s right for you.
Our Future Leaders Programmes are for those who aspire to be leaders, inspire others and relish some of the world’s biggest healthcare challenges. We believe in focusing on the patient and conducting our business with integrity, transparency and respect for everyone we work with.
We invest heavily in your personal development to prepare you for a career as a leader through regular discussions with your line manager and support from a wide network of colleagues but you are still the driver of your development. You will also have continuous training where 70% is on-the-job, 20% is through developmental relationships and 10% is through formal training and educational courses.
What to expect on the Finance Future Leader Programme:
Our Finance FLP runs over three years with three rotations. This is to enhance the development of your skills through having a breadth and depth of our business areas.
The first rotation will be in Finance Services, where our global finance processes are run. Your rotation will give you the opportunity to learn and embed the core technical finance and systems knowledge you need to move forward. This rotation is about developing your foundation technical skills.
The second rotation will be as a local Finance Partner, in any one of several potential areas (commercial, manufacturing, R&D, etc). You will build upon your technical knowledge, applying it and expanding your business knowledge. You will provide robust and insightful analysis to aid decision making and drive the achievement of the department’s objectives.
The third rotation will be Corporate or Strategic in nature. You will have a regional or global view, in any one of several areas. This rotation will help to broaden your perspective and enterprise mindset as well as continuing to build on the breadth of your technical and business knowledge.
During your three years journey, your development will be supported by CIMA Professional qualification process, aiming to provide you with accounting, finance and strategic skills.
A day in the life of a Finance Future Leader:
- You will be responsible for reporting and cost centre review of specific departments
- You will be analysing and interpreting data to identify and understand trends
- You’ll produce meaningful reports to stakeholders that offer insight and drive effective
- You will be responsible for ensuring appropriate compliance and governance procedures are in place and adhered to
- You will be involved in process improvement and/or transformation projects, often involving cross functional teams
- You will have the opportunity to build relationships and communicate with stakeholders both within and outside of the Finance function
Career prospects for Finance Future Leaders:
If your performance and development are successful, you can expect to be in a senior finance analyst within the business after completing this programme! Most associates move into Finance Manager roles within 2 years of completing the programme. Many alumni continue to progress their seniority during their career at GSK as many reach director level, whilst some are becoming Vice Presidents and Senior Vice Presidents.
Whilst many of our alumni stay within the Finance function, the programme develops very transferrable and marketable skills, such that some develop careers in other areas e.g. marketing, supply chain and community partnerships.
Our ideal candidate will have:
- A sincere interest in Finance
- A self-motivated and proactive approach
- Strong communication skills
- The ability to multitask and perform under pressure
- A questioning and analytical mind
- The ability to build strong relationships with stakeholders
- Capability to adapt to change
- If programme requires, being able to relocate to another GSK site within the country.
- Less than 2 years of relevant work experience
- You must have or expect to obtain in 2018 a minimum 2.1 in any degree however there is a preference for Economics, Life Sciences and Engineering Students.
- You must have GCSE Maths (A) or A-Level Maths (A/B) plus a minimum of 300 UCAS points taken from the top 3 A-Levels (excluding General Studies).
We are a science-led global healthcare company that researches and develops innovative Pharmaceuticals, Vaccines and Consumer Healthcare products. These help millions of people around the world do more, feel better and live longer.
Our commercial success depends on creating innovative products and making these accessible to as many people who need them as possible. By achieving this, we will be able to grow our business and provide benefits to patients, consumers, society, our employees and our shareholders. We have a significant global commercial presence in more than 150 markets, a network of 84 manufacturing sites in 36 countries and large R&D centres in the UK, USA, Belgium and China.
Before you apply:
Our Future Leader Programme is passionate about developing local leadership capabilities for local countries, so it is vital you have eligibility to live and work in the country for which you are applying.
Please note that candidates need to be available to attend a 1-day assessment centre in London, UK (expected assessment centre from Mid November 2018)
GSK is committed to empowering employees and creating an inclusive and diverse environment because it shows that we value and respect all contributions. It is good for business because it brings different knowledge, perspectives, experiences and working styles to GSK
Our recruitment decisions are based on selecting the best person for the job, regardless of gender, marital status, religion, age, colour, race, sexual orientation, nationality or disability.