Environment, Health, Safety and Sustainability (EHS&S) Industrial Placement
What does an Environment, Health, Safety and Sustainability (EHS&S) Industrial Placement have to offer?
Preferred degrees include environmental management/science, engineering, geography, sustainability, occupational health & safety, chemistry, biology, and IT.
Skill required for these roles:
- Strong communication, analytical and writing skills
- Ability to communicate complex analysis and arguments in a concise, easy to follow manner
- High attention to detail, with an ability to organise, prioritise and multi-task
- A proactive and enthusiastic approach to work, with a high level of initiative
- Ability to build good working relationships
- Self-motivated and natural team player
- Ability to work independently if needed
- Sense of urgency, calm under pressure, resilient and flexible
- Literate in MS Word and Excel
- Background / knowledge and passion in environmental sustainability and/or environment health and safety.
- Familiarity with the use and development of websites would be an advantage.
- Design and/or videography skills
Please note that this is not a laboratory-based placement, and therefore not suitable for those looking for a career in scientific research.
Environment, Health, Safety and Sustainability Industrial Placement Roles:
Environment, Health, Safety and Sustainability (EHS&S) turns GSK’s mission inward to help employees ‘do more, feel better and live longer.’ We work in partnership with departments across GSK to build a healthy, resilient, high-performing workforce working in a safe workplace. Additionally, we aim to reduce GSK’s impact on Climate Change by reducing carbon, water and waste across our value chain and source materials responsibly.
We offer undergraduates a choice of EHSS placements in either:
- Environmental Sustainability, Centre of Excellence: Brentford, GSK House
- Environment Health Safety and Shared Services R&D: Ware, R&D
1. Environmental Sustainability CoE (Brentford, GSK House)
Our mission is to address our impacts on Climate Change, reduce carbon, water and waste across the value chain and source materials responsibly. We have set ambitious goals to reduce our impact across our value chain – from the sourcing of raw materials and the impacts of our own labs and factories, to the use and disposal of our products by patients and consumers.
We know that the impact of producing our products and medicines is much broader than what we do in our own operations. In fact, around 40% of our carbon footprint and 85% of our water footprint comes from our global supply chain. We view suppliers as critical partners in achieving our sustainability goals, and effective collaboration is central to that success. That is why we are working closely with them to help look at ways we can reduce our collective environmental impact. By taking a value-chain approach, we are identifying risks and opportunities right across our entire supplier network – from our supply chain operations to our procurement activity.
To read more about our environmental sustainability strategy please see the ‘Our Planet’ section of GSK’s Responsible Business Supplement and on GSK.com
This Industrial Placement (IP) position provides the opportunity to get hands-on experience from working in a global sustainability team, GSK’s Environmental Sustainability Centre of Excellence, and supporting the roll out of GSK’s Sustainability Strategy across the wider business. The role is based in GSK’s headquarters in Brentford (West London).
Job tasks could include:
- Internal and external engagement on GSK’s environmental sustainability commitments mostly focused on our supply chain.
- Leading environmental sustainability supplier award project – encouraging suppliers to submit projects, summarising projects, prepping/presenting to judging panel, being a judge, announcing winners.
- Supplier environmental data disclosure – gathering and analysing sustainability data from our suppliers.
- Writing case studies about environmental projects and share on GSK external platform to encourage suppliers to improve their environmental performance
- Calculating carbon footprints and identifying opportunities for reduction.
- Conducting water impact assessments and identifying areas for improvement.
- Supporting our supply chain sustainability collaborations to decrease environmental impact across GSK’s supply chain.
- Supporting the process of identifying and mitigating risks in the supply chain, including high risk materials and development of sustainable procurement policies.
- Actual deliverables / projects depend on requirements and priorities throughout the placement.
2. Environment Health and Safety Shared Services (EHS&SS), R&D (Ware)
The Environment Health and Safety Shared Services (EH&SSS) is a global team, supporting business locally on site. EH&SSS provides comprehensive support in all areas of occupational safety, environmental protection and sustainability to GSK sites world-wide.
Our technical experts work closely with the scientists and facilities on site and through proactive engagement and advice to ensure our sites are consistently compliant with all regulatory and company standards and industry best practice. We support them to act responsibly with integrity and transparency, living up to high health, safety and sustainability standards we set ourselves.
Day to day responsibilities include assisting to the team in the provision of a broad range of environment, health, safety and sustainability management aspects, systems and projects.
Job tasks could include:
- Involvement and the opportunity to lead in running EHS promotional events.
- EHS performance data collection (internal and from suppliers), collation and interpretation, and assistance in reporting and preparing EHS&S reports, including for example, calculation of carbon footprints and water impacts to identify opportunities for reduction.
- Developing and improving data management systems and communications to the business, gaining practical experience in monitoring chemical/biological agents and involvement in the Occupational Hygiene programmes.
- Opportunity to lead biodiversity and sustainability groups in engagement of our sites, developing and promoting innovation to achieve our sustainability goals.
- Internal and external engagement on EHS&S, including GSK’s environmental sustainability commitments.
- Must be on track for a 2.1 (or above) in an undergraduate degree studying Sustainability, Environmental Management or Science, Engineering, Chemistry, Geography or similar discipline.
- You will have completed a minimum of 2 years of an undergraduate degree but will not have graduated at the start of your placement.
The Assessment Centre date for successful applicants is expected to be during early February 2019.
We recruit on an on-going basis and prioritise applications based on the application date.
We will close for applications when we have filled our assessment centre dates.
One of the world’s leading healthcare companies, GSK discovers, develops, manufactures and distributes life-saving vaccines, prescription medicines and consumer health products such as Maxinutrition, Sensodyne, Aquafresh and Panadol.
The size and scope of our organisation allows our people to answer some of the biggest questions facing everyone on the planet – questions about future healthcare needs and questions about building a responsive, innovative, global business to meet them – as well as questions about their own personal and professional growth.
If you have what we’re looking for apply today!