Commercial Banking Summer Internship
We are looking for forward-thinking, driven and perceptive undergraduates to join our Summer Internships and ultimately our global Graduate Programme.
During this eight-week rotational Summer Internship you’ll get first-hand experience of serving our commercial clients. As well as gaining an understanding of the range and complexity of our Commercial Banking business, you’ll see how your skills match the rigours of the job – allowing you to make a sound decision as to whether this sector is for you.
Supported throughout by a line manager and a buddy, you’ll also have the opportunity to build your network, be part of a charity project and, on completion, could secure a place on our Commercial Banking Graduate Programme.
The role of the Penultimate Year Summer Internship is to provide students in their penultimate year of study with the chance to gain an invaluable insight into banking with a leading global bank. Hands-on experience and on-the-job training will give you a head start, as the Internship consists of two four-week rotations; one in a Relationship Management role, where you’ll learn how we connect with businesses of all sizes, the other in either:
- a Global Liquidity & Cash Management role, were you’ll experience how we help clients manage their liquidity to ensure they make their cash work hard for their businesses
- a Global Trade and Receivables Finance role, where you’ll gain an understanding of how we provide the services and financing our clients need throughout the trade cycle
On successful completion, we’ll help you understand which area of the Commercial Banking Graduate Programme you might be best suited for.
During your eight-week internship we will provide you with practical training to complement your academic studies and you will be challenged to use your talents and academic knowledge to add value to the bank and improve your professional and personal skills. You will be paid during your internship, but you may find the greatest benefit is the stepping-stone it can provide to a rewarding full-time career at HSBC.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Gaining an understanding of the Commercial Centre network and developing an awareness of products, services and processes through customer facing engagement
- Ensuring the fair treatment of our customers is at the heart of everything we do, both personally and as an organisation
- Actively contributing towards activities that have a positive impact on the Commercial Centre’s financial performance
The ideal candidate for this role will:
- Be on course to achieve a minimum of a 2.1 honours degree or equivalent, and have 300 UCAS points or equivalent (excluding General Studies)
- Consistently achieve objectives set for you and take action to improve your own performance
- Have self-awareness with the confidence to work independently and take responsibility for your own development
- Demonstrate working collaboratively with others colleagues, supporting them when possible
- Have experience of personally complying with business processes, rules and regulations
- Have experience of building effective customer relationships which create customer advocacy
In addition to the details listed above, the ideal candidate will be proactive, forward-thinking, ready to challenge the status quo, with strong drive and determination, keen to learn and develop at all times, have a natural ability to build relationships with colleagues and a willingness to deliver on difficult assignments, possess an aptitude for understanding the underlying strategy which underpins the bank direction, be skilled at project management and have a keen interest in business development.
PLEASE DO NOT APPLY FOR THIS POSITION UNLESS YOU ARE IN YOUR PENULTIMATE YEAR OF STUDY
Please be advised that you should apply for one HSBC Internship Programme only. Candidates with multiple applications will be progressed on one application.
Please make sure that you will have the right to work in the UK at least until the end of the programme.
The base location for this role is UK wide.
At HSBC we are open to different ideas and cultures, connected to our customers, communities and each other, and dependable, we do the right thing. These are the values that guide us every day. We seek to recruit people who share these values and will help us to sustain them.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!