Global Liquidity and Cash Management Internship
Who we are
HSBC is one of the largest banking and financial services organisations in the world. In 71 countries and territories serving around 46 million customers, our ambition is to be where the growth is, connecting customers to opportunities, enabling businesses to thrive and economies to prosper.
Global Liquidity and Cash Management is one of HSBC's global product lines. We are part of Global Banking and Markets and we support relationship managers by providing the products and expertise their customers need.
Our network covers both established and emerging markets across Europe, Asia-Pacific, Middle East and North Africa, North America and Latin America. Within these markets, we serve our customers through our global businesses: Commercial Banking, Global Banking and Markets, Global Private Banking, and Retail Banking and Wealth Management.
HSBC and You
What to expect
We’re looking for the future leaders of Global Liquidity and Cash Management – and this starts with our 10-week internship. You will need to be forward-thinking, driven and perceptive, open to different ideas and cultures and enjoy being part of a team.
We have internship opportunities in the following areas:
- Gain an understanding of how HSBC works to align client needs to appropriate products and services, and the role that Sales plays in ensuring fair outcomes for customers
- Ability to prepare complex tender proposal documents and compelling power-point presentations
- Opportunity to interact with client stakeholders at a senior level (Group Treasurer, FD, CFO)
- Ability to work effectively within a complex global matrix structure
- Understanding of the Global Liquidity and Cash Management business, strategy, operating model and criticality to HSBC and our clients.
- Understanding of business analytics, business planning, project delivery tracking and business performance management.
- Ability to prepare complex documents and compelling power-point presentations.
- Exposure to various senior stakeholders across GLCM and the global businesses (GBM, CMB, RBB)
- Understanding of GLCM Products across the Organisation including:
- Product Lifecycle
- Product: Governance
- Extensive product range
- Product Development and Launch
- Payments processes, products / and propositions knowledge
- Exposure to the liquidity and cash management regulatory environment
- In depth product Knowledge; Experience of programme & project management
- Understanding Operational Risk and mitigates
- Developing Business & Technical skills within e-commerce
- Building digital and channel customer experience understanding and technical skills
- Obtain experience in the end-to-end client implementation process
- Obtain experience in delivering Client Service excellence globally
Business Risk Control Management
- Understanding of Operational Risk Framework especially:
- Risk Control Assessment
- Internal Control Monitoring Plan
- Operational Risk Incident management including operational losses
- Issue and Action management
- Knowledge of Business Information Risk Officer duties
- Understanding the necessity of maintaining a robust Business Continuity Plan (BCP)
Whichever path you take, you'll complete a week of induction followed by a nine-week placement, contributing to a project. You’ll constantly learn about the GLCM products and services across our international network.
You’ll have every opportunity to showcase your potential and gain hands-on experience to launch a career within Global Liquidity and Cash Management. Wherever you join us, we will support you in our values-led, high-performing culture, while our leaders will help you to be the best you can be, reflecting your interests and capabilities.
You’ll also be able to take part in our sustainability initiatives. Our volunteering programme, for example, could help you to develop new skills, while contributing to the communities in which we work.
We offer a market-competitive pay and benefits package according to your role and location.
Learning and development
We take your learning and development seriously so that you get the most out of your internship. Your time with us will begin with a one-week induction that will give you an overview of HSBC, our business and culture, and how Global Banking fits into the overall structure. After this, your placement will provide you with a combination of practical experience and classroom training. This will help you to develop your technical skills and give you a detailed insight into our markets.
At the beginning of your internship, you’ll be set measurable objectives and receive feedback throughout the 10 weeks. There will be many people you can call on for support. Your manager will be able to give you guidance on your career options. You’ll be assigned a mentor who will help you to get the most out of the experience, and a buddy to share ideas with and who you can call on for advice.
There will be regular business and social events to attend so you can build a network of global contacts, which will prove invaluable to you in the future.
Perform well during the internship and you could secure a place on our Global Liquidity and Cash Management Global Graduate Programme, the next stage on the journey to becoming a successful investment banker or coverage analyst.
Being an international bank, HSBC offers an exciting platform globally that you will be able to benefit from. As you continue your journey at HSBC and progress towards a senior role, you will also be able to search for international opportunities, work across multiple products and geographies, broaden your horizons and nurture your curiosity.
We are looking for eager, hard-working people who enable us to develop products and services for governments, corporates and institutions.
We assess all applicants against our values and our global graduate capability framework. Information on our recruitment and selection process can be found on our hints and tips page.
To be considered for the internship, you will be a student in their penultimate year who:
- Demonstrates our values – open, dependable and connected – in your daily work
- Has a well-developed interest in international markets and finance
- Is intellectually curious
- Has a global outlook
- Is proactive and innovative
- Has outstanding interpersonal skills, strong commercial acumen and a flair for problem solving
- Has the highest standards of behaviour
- Is self-motivated, confident, articulate and willing to take on new challenges
- Is fluent in business English (French, Spanish, Portuguese, Nordic languages an advantage)
The ideal candidate for this role will:
- Be on track for a minimum 2.1 honours degree or equivalent (predicted or gained), and 300 UCAS points or equivalent (excluding General Studies)
- Be available to undertake the travel required for this role, i.e. you will be required to relocate across the UK based upon placement opportunities, commitment to being nationally mobile in this role is essential
- Have consistently achieved objectives set for you and taken action to improve your own performance
- Have self-awareness with the confidence to work independently and take responsibility for your own development
- Have worked collaboratively with other colleagues, supporting them when possible
In addition to the details listed above, the ideal candidate will be proactive, forward-thinking, ready to challenge the status quo, with strong drive and determination, keen to learn and develop at all times, have a natural ability to build relationships with colleagues and a willingness to deliver on difficult assignments, possess an aptitude for understanding the underlying strategy which underpins the bank direction, be skilled at project management and have a keen interest in business development.
PLEASE DO NOT APPLY FOR THIS POSITION UNLESS YOU ARE IN YOUR PENULTIMATE YEAR OF UNIVERSITY
Please be advised that you should apply for one HSBC Internship Programme. Candidates with multiple applications will be progressed on one application.
Please make sure that you will have the right to work in the UK at least until the end of the programme.
The base location for this role is UK wide.
At HSBC we are open to different ideas and cultures, connected to our customers, communities and each other, and dependable, we do the right thing. These are the values that guide us every day. We seek to recruit people who share these values and will help us to sustain them.
Application close date will be 14th January 2018 23:59
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!