Data Science and Engineering Internship
Our mission is to drive informed decision-making and to solve complex problems by using the latest technologies to rapidly implement insights, transform data and to deploy scalable distributed algorithms.
What you will do
With our Data Science and Engineering Internships, you’ll spend a minimum of ten weeks taking part in a range of activities, projects and networking events. After an induction, where you will learn about our business, culture and how we operate, you will join the first of three rotations in our Data Science and Engineering business areas. This will give you an insight into our different businesses and the variety of opportunities available at HSBC. You will be part of a project team that will allow you to develop your analytical skills in various fields. This could be building and changing predictive analytical solutions, big data pipelines, data science and machine learning. You will collaborate with senior leaders and colleagues to create and implement quantitative solutions using different analytical principles. You will also attend educational presentations and workshops throughout your internship to enable you to keep up to date with the fast-paced environment of Data Science and Engineering.
Skills, Qualifications and Experience Needed
We are looking for dedicated, collaborative and motivated people who are:
- Committed researchers. Our markets and client needs are constantly changing. You should always be curious; questioning ideas and showing a keen interest in learning about our methods
- Agile workers. You will work in a fast-paced environment where everything evolves very quickly. You’ll maintain momentum by promoting agile working and ensuring we constantly deliver for our clients
- Analytical thinkers. You’ll need a good eye for detail, a creative mind for analysing trends, and the courage to adopt new analytical methods
- Team players. We collaborate by listening to new ideas, as well as voicing our own, in order to deliver and develop the best service for our clients
- Data enthusiasts. This programme will develop your statistical knowledge, passion for data or any programming skills you may already hold. You’ll gain a deep understanding of the theoretical grounds of machine learning and mathematical frameworks
The ideal candidate for this role will:
- Have a minimum of a 2.1 honours degree or equivalent (predicted or gained), and 120 UCAS points or equivalent (excluding General Studies).
- Have good programming skills in a language such as Python, Scala
- Have graduated or be graduating by July 2020
- Be studying for a degree or postgraduate degree in a quantitative discipline
- No direct experience is required for the role but any previous experience with transferable skills will be advantageous
What can this lead to?
If you excel in your internship, we shall consider you for a role within one of our Data Science and Engineering teams. You could be placed in a more specialised position that suits your personality and skills, working alongside like-minded colleagues who share a passion for backing up client decisions with solid data. This internship is just the beginning of many career opportunities at HSBC.
For: Penultimate and final-year bachelor's, master's and postgraduate students
Closing Date: 01 March 2019
Start date of Graduate Programme: June 2019
Start date for applications: 07 December 2018