Video Software Design Engineer
Imagination Technologies is one of the world's fastest growing and most exciting technology companies. The breadth of technologies and markets it serves involves working with most of the biggest and best semiconductor, consumer electronics, multimedia and App content developers and industry partners in the world.
Our technologies feature in many of the world's most exciting products, from the latest smartphones, tablets and media players to the future wireless home, connected multimedia-rich cars and much more.
To work as part of a team responsible for developing driver software and firmware for next generation video hardware decoder. The role is within a video decoder driver team.
This team develops the drivers for our Windows, Android and Linux video deliverables and the firmware which controls the decoder hardware.
The team carries out a range of activities from contributing to new hardware designs, development of drivers, integration of drivers into Windows and Android environment and much more. The primary development environment is Windows however our driver stacks are designed to run on a multitude of platforms and operating systems including Android.
Within this group there are opportunities to work with and learn from, experienced developers working on popular technologies such as Windows, Linux, Android, video decode and video encode. You will have the opportunity to steer the design of the next cycle of drivers and IP design for the coming years whilst expanding both your engineering experience and repertoire in many fields.
Working as a part of a team, you will have some or all of the following responsibilities:
- Working on cutting edge technology and designs.
- Working with a broad range of technologies from FPGA/development hardware up to end user products.
- Using a wide range of systems, languages and tools from C, C++ and numerous different operating systems and processors.
- Improving your software engineering, development and debug skills.
- Assist with design and implementation of driver software for existing and future video hardware.
Target Capabilities and Skills
The successful candidate will have some of the following skills:
- Good C programming skills
- Understanding of embedded systems
- Real-time operating systems and ideally experience in one of the following: Linux, Android or Windows
- Understanding of any video standard (e.g HEVC, MPEG2, H.264, etc)
- A passion for technology.
- Good problem solving skills.
- Be able to work both in a team and on their own.
- Have a good grasp of present computer technology.
The team comprises of engineers with experience ranging from undergraduate student placements to engineers with more than a decade of experience. The group is quite informal, with much idea exchange and interaction. Engineers are encouraged to expand their knowledge via informal interactions with engineers within the group and in other groups.
The candidate should have a good degree in Computer Science, Embedded Systems, Electrical/Electronic Engineering or a related subject. Candidates with degrees in Maths and Physics, with a passion for computing, will also be considered. We are more interested in what you actually know than precisely which degree you undertook.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!