Graduate Research Engineer
Graduate role within the PowerVR research group, combining strong technical knowledge and continuous learning to deliver successful computer vision, image processing and machine learning related innovation.
The research group is responsible for delivering high performance, innovative solutions to ensure the future success of PowerVR products. The group works with development engineers, marketing and external customers to identify research opportunities. The role will provide significant exposure to cutting-edge hardware and software technologies.
The team have a track record of success with numerous innovations being included in products. Projects in the team range from image processing technologies (e.g. denoising) through to emerging technologies such as mobile computer vision (e.g. face detection), machine learning (e.g. object classification) and computational photography (e.g. high dynamic range imaging). The successful candidate will have a unique opportunity to influence the direction of product roadmaps.
The graduate research engineer will work as a member of the research team responsible for computer vision, image processing and machine learning algorithms. Members of the team work on projects related to all PowerVR IP (GPU, vision, ISP and ray-tracing). The successful candidate will have some or all of the following responsibilities
- Carrying out world leading research into computer vision, image processing and machine learning algorithms
- Identifying new research topics of value to the company
- Preparing and submitting patent ideas
- Investigating improvements to existing algorithms and technologies
- Implementing simulations and demonstrations of new algorithms and technologies
- Writing technical reports and white papers describing developed technologies and
- Interacting with development teams to take ideas from research into products.
- Excellent knowledge in one or more of computer vision (e.g. optical flow, object detection, 3D reconstruction, SLAM), image processing (e.g. noise reduction, high dynamic range images, super-resolution) or machine learning (e.g. convolutional neural networks, recurrent neural networks)
- Strong knowledge of C/C++ development
- Good mathematical background (e.g. linear algebra, numerical optimisations, probability theory etc.)
- Evidence of successful research (e.g. publications, patents)
- Experience of GPU compute (e.g. OpenCL, Renderscript, DirectCompute, CUDA) or graphics (e.g. DirectX, OpenGL, Vulkan)
- Experience of developing efficient image processing, computer vision, or machine learning algorithms suitable for hardware or software implementation
- Experience of generating and identifying patentable ideas
- Familiar with Unix/Linux and Windows working environments
- Ability to be self-guided and self-motivated when working on projects
- Approachable with motivating communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent personal organisation with effective prioritisation and time management skills
- Commitment to engage actively with the team and across all business groups
- Proven ability to identify problems and provide innovative solutions
- Ability to understand and communicate complex ideas
The successful applicant will be joining a research team with a collaborative ethos in which all team members are expected and supported to take part in the innovation process. The environment is informal, dynamic and the organization possesses an excellent social scene.
Hold an undergraduate degree (BSc) and a masters (MSc) or equivalent in image processing, computer vision, machine learning or related area. A PhD would be advantageous.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!