SG is a dynamic construction services company, delivering robust and future-proofed places that help people and businesses thrive. Our 2,800 worldwide specialists in fit-out, technology, construction and development deliver not just buildings, but also an exceptional delivery dynamic and strong customer relationships built on mutual trust, collaboration, and open communication. We blend our unparalleled track record, sound processes and proven delivery methods with a fast-paced and agile culture, ensuring we deliver thriving places that are as agile and resilient as their occupants.
As a Graduate on our programme you will gain a full understanding of all aspects of the ISG business whilst fast-tracking your career within construction. You will be passionate about a career in one of our core specialisms (Construction Management/ Quantity Surveying/ Technical Services) whilst also having a desire to deliver extraordinary, customer service and state of the art, innovative projects.
The ideal candidate will be passionate with a desire to learn and a drive to continuously develop themselves. You will be an effective communicator, with strong attention to detail and a problem-solving approach. Organised and methodical, you will be able to work individually as well as within in a team to achieve high quality end goals. You will develop a coaching approach to working with contractors, other team members and clients, leading by example and influencing and smoothing issues and concerns effectively and quickly.
You will start your 2-year programme with ISG completing several core rotations within the business. These will cover areas such as pre-construction, winning work, Technical Building services, Construction management and Commercial management. During these rotations you will take on responsibility within real, live projects and learn from industry experts. These rotations will help you to build a wider understanding of the construction industry as well as how your preferred specialism fits into the work we do. Other, optional rotations within departments such as Health and Safety and sustainability are also available to undertake depending on your interests and desire to develop.
You will have a supervisor to support you in your development as well as a taught programme which covers both the technical knowledge and behaviours needed to help you be successful in your career. Both elements have been designed to help you to gain a fully supported, in depth understanding of the business whilst helping to start you on your journey towards professional chartership.
Main duties of a graduate trainee include;
- Establish positive and effective working relationships with the project team, line manager, other ISG colleagues and subcontractors
- Achieve deliverables and objectives set by your line manager to a high standard, seeking support and input as appropriate
- Act to further development and involvement within projects to help support and bolster learning and experiences whilst on the programme
- Understand and actively promote the ISG values and safety culture in all dealings
- Ensuring that all relevant paperwork is received, reviewed and communicated where necessary for the project
- Contribute to regular Project Reports, and attend Project Meetings.
- Support/ lead as appropriate site progress meetings with trade/sub-contractors
- Handle any problems on site and understand how to identify, monitor, document and resolve risks
- Drafting procurement documentation, monthly reports and tender reports, supporting the tender process
- Represent the company at Pre-qualification, Pre-tender and Tender meetings and presentations.
- Develop a broad knowledge of all specialisms within ISG and an understanding of how they fit into your specialist area
- Maintain key site records on a daily basis including; photographs, meeting minutes, site diary, trackers etc
The above is not an exhausted list, other duties will be required as directed by the rotations and objectives set. All duties will be linked to your ongoing development within the role.
All our employees must be committed to acting in line with our core values. These are the guiding principles that determine our actions and behaviours at ISG:
- Dream Smart – We encourage new thinking and bold ideas backed by knowledge, sound decision and first rate implementation.
- Speak Frankly – We value clarity and honesty and we are open and straight forward in all our dealings. We never shy away from tough conversations.
- Always Care – We take pride in the quality of our work and demonstrate respect and care for the wellbeing and health & safety of our customers, our people, and our world.
- Never Stop Learning – We encourage and reward great ideas. We constantly strive to improve by seeking new knowledge and skills.
Qualifications, Skills & Experiences
- be degree level qualified in an industry relevant or related undergraduate degree; on target or achieved a 2:1 classification.
- have a minimum 240 UCAS points from their A levels/BTEC/equivalent qualification, including Grade C in GCSE Maths and English.
- be passionate and motivated to deliver to a high standard whilst adopting a lead by example approach with sub-contractors and team members
- have excellent written and oral communication, ability to influence without authority and to be adaptive in communication styles
- be driven to achieve results, with strong attention to detail, analytical and able to tackle problems effectively and calmly
- evidence the ability to plan and prioritise effectively