Engineering and Scientist Graduate Program
Engineering and Scientist Graduate Programme
Duration: 2 year programme
Start date: September 2017
What type of mark will you make? Your unique talents and perspective can make a vital contribution to innovative products that improve the lives of people everywhere. Career opportunities within Johnson & Johnson companies may provide you with an ideal setting to build your experience; express your passion and touch the world.
Johnson & Johnson offer two engineering graduate programmes within our medical devices business. One is based in our DePuy Synthes, Leeds company and the other based in our Lifescan Scotland, Inverness franchise.
DePuy Synthes offer the world’s largest portfolio of orthopaedic and neurological products and services designed to advance patient care and deliver clinical and economic value globally. Inspired by the opportunity to help people return to living active and fulfilling lives, we bring surgeons and healthcare providers together to create value by increasing patient satisfaction, improving clinical outcomes and reducing costs. As an Engineering Graduate you will join The DePuy Synthes Research and Development in Leeds. This is one of the world’s leading orthopaedic development facilities, designed to stimulate innovation, communication, and collaboration so we may advance medical device solutions that deliver value for healthcare systems and improve people’s lives. You will be part of a team focused on the development of joint reconstruction implants for the hip and knee, the surgical process and instruments used during surgery.
LifeScan Scotland is one of the world's leading companies in the rapidly increasing diabetes management market. Established in 1995 LifeScan, a Johnson & Johnson company has risen to global prominence.The LifeScan Graduate Development Programme is a dynamic, two-year rotational programme for candidates who have the desire and drive to operate within the LifeScan franchise. You will be working in the Engineering or Research and Development Department. The programme aims to deliver rounded Engineers and Scientists capable of working both in a medical device company and high volume manufacturing company. Joining this programme will provide you with the opportunity to build a network throughout the franchise, which may involve several job rotations. These rotations will base themselves within the sub department of Engineering and also include Operations Quality, Development Quality, Research & Development and Operations.
During the course of both these programmes you will have the opportunity to develop yourself and your skill set through Continued Professional Development using internal Johnson & Johnson courses and selected external courses providing internationally recognised qualifications. Engineering and Scientist graduates are also encouraged to enter a Professional Development scheme, leading to corporate membership of an Institution and registration with the Engineering Council as a Chartered Engineer or Incorporated Engineer. In addition to this, you will participate in training where you will learn new leadership and technical skills, which will be combined with the opportunity to apply this business knowledge in a challenging manufacturing and development environment. This is an opportunity that will take you and your career further.
Leeds, UK (DePuy)
Inverness, Scotland (LifeScan)
- Main duties and responsibilities:
- Materials: Supporting Product and Process material supply i.e. Polyester, adhesives, precious metal technology with a working knowledge of the mechanics of materials and material performance
- Systems: Work within the Manufacturing Engineering team to support the implementation and maintenance of data systems and integration with automation based control.
- Support new equipment programs and existing equipment upgrades to allow Operations to have up to date performance information
- Opportunity to support a wide variety of highly specialised teams
- Process product and system improvements - Utilise formal problem solving tools and methodologies to actively lean out and improve processes, improve products, raw materials and reduce customer complaints
- Reduce the cost of quality and non-compliance to the business
- Conduct risk analysis and management to reduce any risks
- Potential to pursue a number of internal developmental training programmes as well as externally recognised qualifications such as Process Design Excellence
- Potential opportunities to explore associated functions including Regulatory Affairs, Supplier Quality, Marketing and Sales
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!