Graduate Industrial Engineer
Leonardo – Ingenuity at your service
Do you want to work on real-time projects alongside leading scientists and engineers within a globally renowned company?
Leonardo has an award winning Graduate Programme that develops promising young graduates into engineers and business professionals of the future.
Leonardo is an international leader in electronic and information technologies for defence systems, aerospace, data, infrastructures, land security and protection and sustainable ’smart’ solutions. We are globally renowned and are continually expanding, offering exciting opportunities to talented graduates who want to work at the forefront of our technology. With the majority of our engineers having chartered status, you can look forward to working with highly skilled professionals that are passionate about their work.
- Our technology defines the capability of the Eurofighter Typhoon
- Our products help to return service men and women safely home to their families
- Our surveillance radar helps coastguards to save lives of people lost at sea
- Our thermal camera has commercial uses such as on the BBC’s Winter Watch
- Our perimeter security offered protection during the Commonwealth Games
- Our Airborne Infra-Red Counter Measures, Radar and Laser Designators are number 1 outside of the US.
Our 2 year Graduate Programme
On joining the Leonardo graduate programme, you will unlock a wealth of development opportunities and further learning. You will receive mentoring, coaching and support to achieve your personal goals and accreditation from your professional body.
We have created a programme across our UK sites that not only increases your professional skills through hands on experience on some of our largest projects, but also helps to develop your leadership and business skills. You will receive mentoring, coaching and support to achieve your personal goals, whilst working towards accreditation within your chosen profession.
We value those who continuously ask questions and look to resolve problems through creative and innovative thinking. We will demand a high degree of customer focus and work performance from you in order to meet our operational challenges.
Our key competencies we look for and develop are:
- Achieving High Performance
- Continuously Improving
- Customer Focus
- Working Together
- Personal: Self Awareness & Confidence
- Technical: Analysis, Judgement & Problem Solving
- The graduate programme offers the perfect springboard to a successful and enjoyable future career with Leonardo.
Graduate Industrial Engineer Job Description :
As part of the Industrial Engineering & New Product Introduction processes, the role of the Graduate Industrial Engineer is to support the introduction of New Products into manufacturing and to provide support to the manufacturing team. The role is within the Assembly Engineering team, who support the manufacture of high precision electro-mechanical assemblies. The Graduate Industrial Engineer will be required to interface with all areas of the Company and with sub-contractors, to establish and improve manufacturing processes in order that they achieve the required cost and quality.
- Initially working with others you will develop your understanding of the manufacturing processes before becoming responsible for a range of processes and their effectiveness.
- Processes supported by the team include vacuum brazing, laser welding, precision alignment, adhesive bonding, pressure bonding, mechanical assembly and associated metrology techniques.
- Solve day to day manufacturing problems and resolve production stops in a timely manner.
- Monitor process performance in terms of yield, time, capacity and quality. Identify, plan and implement innovative process improvements using a data based approach to justify changes. Update documentation and train manufacturing staff in new techniques.
- Report and communicate to all levels of the organisation in an appropriate manner.
- Early involvement with Engineering & Design Office to ensure that products and processes are adequately designed for manufacture.
- Plan and implement manufacturing strategies, adopting Lean Manufacturing principles
You will have obtained or are predicted to obtain a minimum of an upper second class honours degree in a relevant discipline, (physics, engineering or sciences).
Previous manufacturing experience and knowledge of six-sigma / lean improvement techniques and data analysis would be an advantage.
The successful candidate will be a self-motivated, resourceful and tenacious graduate, with the ability to utilise problem solving skills in the resolution of challenges. A confident outgoing personality with the stature and presence to hold his/her own in a challenging operational environment.
You must be able to obtain SC security clearance (if necessary) and have a minimum of 5 years permanent residency in the UK.
What can I expect from my work environment?
This is a mainly office based role using display screen equipment; however the successful candidate may also have to work in development labs. The successful candidate will be expected to work full time hours in a flexible and demanding environment.
What’s in it for me?
Leonardo value their people and we reward commitment with a competitive remuneration and flexible benefits package including:
- £26,000 starting salary
- £2,000 welcome bonus
- Accommodation Allowance (£400p/m for 6 months)
- Free/subsidised gym membership
- 33 days holiday and flexible working arrangements
- Mentoring and financial support whilst working towards professional accreditation
- 3 performance related pay reviews within the 2 years
- Contributory pension scheme
- Private healthcare
What are you waiting for?
A career in the defence industry rewards over 162,000 people and generates a £22billion turnover. Come and be a part of a community and work with some of the most talented engineers in the UK on some of the most exciting projects around.
Don’t delay – Roles will be closed as soon as they are offered! So APPLY NOW to avoid disappointment.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!