Graduate Systems Engineer
Leonardo – Ingenuity at your service
Do you want to work on real-time projects alongside leading scientists and engineers within a globally renowned company?
Leonardo has an award winning Graduate Programme that develops promising young graduates into engineers and business professionals of the future.
Leonardo is an international leader in electronic and information technologies for defence systems, aerospace, data, infrastructures, land security and protection and sustainable ’smart’ solutions. We are globally renowned and are continually expanding, offering exciting opportunities to talented graduates who want to work at the forefront of our technology. With the majority of our engineers having chartered status, you can look forward to working with highly skilled professionals that are passionate about their work.
- Our technology defines the capability of the Eurofighter Typhoon
- Our products help to return service men and women safely home to their families
- Our surveillance radar helps coastguards to save lives of people lost at sea
- Our thermal camera has commercial uses such as on the BBC’s Winter Watch
- Our perimeter security offered protection during the Commonwealth Games
- Our Airborne Infra-Red Counter Measures, Radar and Laser Designators are number 1 outside of the US
Our 2 year Graduate Programme
On joining the Leonardo graduate programme, you will unlock a wealth of development opportunities and further learning. You will receive mentoring, coaching and support to achieve your personal goals and accreditation from your professional body.
We have created a programme across our UK sites that not only increases your professional skills through hands on experience on some of our largest projects, but also helps to develop your leadership and business skills. You will receive mentoring, coaching and support to achieve your personal goals, whilst working towards accreditation within your chosen profession.
We value those who continuously ask questions and look to resolve problems through creative and innovative thinking. We will demand a high degree of customer focus and work performance from you in order to meet our operational challenges.
Our key competencies we look for and develop are:
- Achieving High Performance
- Continuously Improving
- Customer Focus
- Working Together
- Personal: Self Awareness & Confidence
- Technical: Analysis, Judgement & Problem Solving
The graduate programme offers the perfect springboard to a successful and enjoyable future career with Leonardo.
Graduate Systems Engineer Job Description
This is an opportunity to join a highly skilled systems engineering team at the Basildon site. We are experts in the design and implementation of high performance solutions for broad and diverse range of applications. Solutions are developed for many different platforms using a broad range of technologies – the opportunities to become involved with leading technologies and tools are endless given the diversity of the work completed at the Basildon site.
You will work as part of a cross-discipline team to deliver a project. You will be given responsibility for your own work, and your own development. The role will include a combination of tasks, dependant on the specific project placement.
In this role you will perform Systems Engineering activities through all stages of the development life cycle, from requirements management, design, implementation, integration, verification and validation through to acceptance testing on site. You will also gain exposure to other engineering disciplines and business areas.
Must have obtained or are predicted to obtain a 2:1 or higher in a BSc, BEng or MEng in a relevant degree discipline (including Communications Engineering, Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Electronics Engineering, Engineering Design, Product Design Engineering, Systems Engineering, Applied Mathematics, Applied Physics, Engineering Physics, Engineering science, Mathematics, Physics, Physics and Mathematics, Computer Communication and Networks, Computer Science, Software Engineering, Project Design and Development)
You must be able to obtain SC security clearance (if necessary) and have a minimum of 5 years permanent residency in the UK.
- Knowledge of developing solutions such as:
- Signal Processing or Image Processing Systems
- Communication/Network (including Web based) Systems
- Vehicle Systems
- Surveillance Systems
- Experience of development tools such as:
- Requirements Management tools eg DOORS
- System modelling/simulation e.g. Matlab/Simulink
- SysML model development tools e.g. Rhapsody, System Architect
- Programming languages e.g. C/C++/Java /Python
- An engineering and technology enthusiast
- A talented problem solver with an analytical approach
- A self-starter who gets things done
- A collaborator with excellent communications skills
What can I expect from my working environment?
- Office and lab based
- Display screen equipment user
- Demanding work environments with tight deadlines
- Travel within UK and abroad
What’s in it for me?
Leonardo value their people and we reward commitment with a competitive remuneration and flexible benefits package including:
- £26,000 starting salary
- £2,000 welcome bonus
- Accommodation Allowance (£400 p/m for 6 months)
- Free/subsidised gym membership
- 33 days holiday and flexible working arrangements
- Mentoring and financial support whilst working towards professional accreditation
- 3 performance related pay reviews within the 2 years
- Contributory pension scheme
- Private healthcare
What are you waiting for?
A career in the defence industry rewards over 162,000 people and generates a £22billion turnover. Come and be a part of a community and work with some of the most talented engineers in the UK on some of the most exciting projects around.
Don’t delay – Roles will be closed as soon as they are offered! So APPLY NOW to avoid disappointment.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!