Graduate Software Engineer
Leonardo – Ingenuity at your service
Do you want to work on real-time projects alongside leading scientists and engineers within a globally renowned company?
Leonardo has an award winning Graduate Programme that develops promising young graduates into engineers and business professionals of the future.
Leonardo is an international leader in electronic and information technologies for defence systems, aerospace, data, infrastructures, land security and protection and sustainable ’smart’ solutions. We are globally renowned and are continually expanding, offering exciting opportunities to talented graduates who want to work at the forefront of our technology. With the majority of our engineers having chartered status, you can look forward to working with highly skilled professionals that are passionate about their work.
- Our technology defines the capability of the Eurofighter Typhoon
- Our products help to return service men and women safely home to their families
- Our surveillance radar helps coastguards to save lives of people lost at sea
- Our thermal camera has commercial uses such as on the BBC’s Winter Watch
- Our perimeter security offered protection during the Commonwealth Games
- Our Airborne Infra-Red Counter Measures, Radar and Laser Designators are number 1 outside of the US.
Our 2 year Graduate Programme
On joining the Leonardo graduate programme, you will unlock a wealth of development opportunities and further learning. You will receive mentoring, coaching and support to achieve your personal goals and accreditation from your professional body.
We have created a programme across our UK sites that not only increases your professional skills through hands on experience on some of our largest projects, but also helps to develop your leadership and business skills. You will receive mentoring, coaching and support to achieve your personal goals, whilst working towards accreditation within your chosen profession.
We value those who continuously ask questions and look to resolve problems through creative and innovative thinking. We will demand a high degree of customer focus and work performance from you in order to meet our operational challenges.
Graduate Software Engineer Job Description :
This is an opportunity to join a highly skilled software engineering team at the Basildon site. We are experts in the design and implementation of:
- Real-time embedded software code
- Graphical User Interfaces (GUI)
- Image and Signal Processing Algorithm Implementation
- Auto-generation of Software code from models
In this role you will design high performance software code within challenging timescales across a full range of potential hardware platforms, from internally developed hardware through to Android devices.
You will work as part of a cross-discipline team to deliver a project. You will be given responsibility for your own work, and your own development. The role will include a combination of tasks, dependant on the specific project placement.
There will be opportunities to develop expertise in all phases of the software development lifecycle, from developing models through to acceptance testing. You will also gain exposure to other engineering disciplines and business areas.
Must have obtained or are predicted to obtain a 2:1 or higher in a BSc, BEng or MEng in a relevant degree discipline (including Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Electronics Engineering, Product Design Engineering, Systems Engineering, Applied Mathematics, Applied Physics, Engineering Physics, Mathematics, Physics, Physics and Mathematics, Computer & Network Technology, Computer Communication and Networks, Computer Science, Cyber Security, Security, Software Engineering, Project Design and Development)
You must be able to obtain SC security clearance (if necessary) and have a minimum of 5 years permanent residency in the UK.
- Knowledge of software and/or applications such as:
- Designing software solutions using models / design tools
- Developing software code in a high level language
- Signal Processing or Image processing
- Communication and network protocols
Experience of development tools such as:
- Requirements Management tools eg DOORS
- System modelling/simulation e.g. Matlab/Simulink
- UML model development tools e.g. Rhapsody
- Programming languages e.g. C/C++/Java /Python
- Testing tools such as QAC or Polyspace
Demonstrating the following: -
- An engineering and technology enthusiast
- A talented problem solver with an analytical approach
- A self-starter who gets things done
- A collaborator with excellent communications skills
What can I expect from my work environment?
This is a mainly office based role using display screen equipment; however the successful candidate may also have to work in development labs. The successful candidate will be expected to work full time hours in a flexible and demanding environment.
What’s in it for me?
Leonardo value their people and we reward commitment with a competitive remuneration and flexible benefits package including:
- £26,000 starting salary
- £2,000 welcome bonus
- Accommodation Allowance (£400p/m for 6 months)
- Free/subsidised gym membership
- 33 days holiday and flexible working arrangements
- Mentoring and financial support whilst working towards professional accreditation
- 3 performance related pay reviews within the 2 years
- Contributory pension scheme
- Private healthcare
What are you waiting for?
A career in the defence industry rewards over 162,000 people and generates a £22billion turnover. Come and be a part of a community and work with some of the most talented engineers in the UK on some of the most exciting projects around.
Don’t delay – Roles will be closed as soon as they are offered! So APPLY NOW to avoid disappointment.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!