IP Systems Engineer
Leonardo – Ingenuity at your service
Do you want to work on real-time projects alongside leading scientists and engineers within a globally renowned company?
Leonardo’s Industrial Placement Programme offers you a paid opportunity to develop your current skillset in an innovative and practical environment that can lead to a place on our award winning Graduate Development programme.
Leonardo is an international leader in electronic and information technologies for defence systems, aerospace, data, infrastructures, land security and protection and sustainable ’smart’ solutions. We are globally renowned and are continually expanding, offering exciting opportunities to talented graduates who want to work at the forefront of our technology. With the majority of our engineers having chartered status, you can look forward to working with highly skilled professionals that are passionate about their work.
- Our technology defines the capability of the Eurofighter Typhoon
- Our products help to return service men and women safely home to their families
- Our surveillance radar helps coastguards to save lives of people lost at sea
- Our thermal camera has commercial uses such as on the BBC’s Winter Watch
- Our perimeter security offered protection during the Commonwealth Games
- The 6 month – 1 year Industrial Placement Graduate Programme
We have created a programme across our UK sites, that not only increase your technical skills but gives you the opportunity to work on meaningful real life projects alongside experienced engineers and graduates across our business. You will receive coaching and support to achieve your personal goals and work in multidisciplinary teams to gain as much experience across the product lifecycle from your time in industry, as possible. Our ultimate aim is to see you through your undergrad years and hopefully offer you a place on our 2 year Graduate Development programme at an appropriate time.
We value those who continuously ask questions and look to resolve problems through creative and innovative thinking. We will demand a high degree of customer focus and work performance from you in order to meet our operational challenges.
The key competencies we look for and develop are:
- Achieving High Performance
- Continuously Improving
- Customer Focus
- Working Together
- Personal: Self Awareness & Confidence
- Technical: Analysis, Judgement & Problem Solving
The Industrial Placement programme offers the perfect springboard to a successful and enjoyable future career with Leonardo.
Industrial Placement Systems Job Description
The Leonardo Luton site is home to the Electronic Warfare (EW) and Air Systems UK (ASUK) Lines of Business (LoB), both part of the Airborne and Space Systems Division. The division develops and produces a wide range of products and solutions for both manned and unmanned aircraft platforms, including integrated mission systems, airborne radars and sensors, protection and countermeasure systems, on-board avionics, and simulation systems.
Systems Industrial Placement students are needed to join the growing Luton Systems Engineering community to work alongside some of the most talented engineers in the UK. You will support the development of world-leading technologies and capabilities across multiple domains including Avionics, Electronic Warfare, and Unmanned and Autonomous Systems (UAS).
Systems Industrial Placement students have the opportunity to be involved in one or more phases of the systems engineering lifecycle to create and deliver new and emerging capabilities required by our customers; from the development of system architectures and concept designs to develop the next generation of EW or UAS capability, through to live system trials of developed equipment and systems.
Working as part of an established systems engineering community and supported by a team of experienced engineers, you will be responsible for:
- Undertaking packages of work defined by your manager.
- Developing and applying your academic knowledge to undertake various activities across the engineering lifecycle.
- Developing practical skills in engineering design and development for complex systems, understanding key processes and technologies.
- Working closely with engineers across multiple disciplines to solve problems.
- Completing tasks in accordance with appropriate processes and procedures to a high standard.
- Taking an active role in engineering process improvement, ensuring the communication of best practise across the systems engineering team.
- Use technical expertise to solve problems, generate ideas and be pro-active within the team.
Studying a relevant science or engineering subject to degree level (e.g. physics, mathematics, systems/aerospace/electronic/mechanical engineering, and avionics).
You must be able to obtain BPSS and SC security clearance (if necessary) and have a minimum of 5 years permanent residency in the UK. The role requires access to UK Caveated information; therefore the candidate will require sole or dual UK nationality.
Understanding of mathematics to at least A-Level standard, and a basic understanding of electronics.
You will ideally have knowledge and experience in several of the following areas:
- Self-motivated with an aptitude to problem solving and ability to drive difficult issues to conclusion.
- Excellent communication and inter-personal skills, and the ability to interact with subject matter experts regarding a range of technical and operational topics.
- Confidence and ability to challenge/respond to technical/process issues.
- Experience of working with engineering development tools (e.g. Rhapsody, System Architect, Matlab, Simulink, DOORS, Teamcenter).
What can I expect from my working environment?
This is an office based role using display screen equipment, with some work being required in laboratories. You will be working full time hours which can often be in a demanding environment. Working to tight deadlines either on a regular or ad hoc basis may be required. As part of this role you may have the opportunity to travel to support customer meetings or trials and demonstration activities. In some cases you will also be expected to stay overnight as part of this travel.
What’s in it for me?
Leonardo value their people and we reward commitment with a competitive remuneration and flexible benefits package including:
- Accommodation Allowance (£400 p/m for 6 months)
- Free/subsidised gym membership
- 33 days holiday and flexible working arrangements
- Contributory pension scheme
- Private healthcare
What are you waiting for?
You’ll be made to feel welcome from day one and will have the opportunity to mix with our current graduate cohort and find out the diverse career options you can pursue at Leonardo.
A career in the defence industry rewards over 162,000 people and generates a £22billion turnover. Come and be a part of a community and work with some of the most talented engineers in the UK on some of the most exciting projects around.
Don’t delay – Roles will be closed as soon as they are offered! So APPLY NOW to avoid disappointment.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!