Graduate Supportability Engineer
Leonardo – Ingenuity at your service
Do you want to work on real-time projects alongside leading scientists and engineers within a globally renowned company?
Leonardo has an award winning Graduate Programme that develops promising young graduates into engineers and business professionals of the future.
Leonardo is an international leader in electronic and information technologies for defence systems, aerospace, data, infrastructures, land security and protection and sustainable ’smart’ solutions. We are globally renowned and are continually expanding, offering exciting opportunities to talented graduates who want to work at the forefront of our technology. With the majority of our engineers having chartered status, you can look forward to working with highly skilled professionals that are passionate about their work.
- Our technology defines the capability of the Eurofighter Typhoon
- Our products help to return service men and women safely home to their families
- Our surveillance radar helps coastguards to save lives of people lost at sea
- Our thermal camera has commercial uses such as on the BBC’s Winter Watch
- Our perimeter security offered protection during the Commonwealth Games
- Our Airborne Infra-Red Counter Measures, Radar and Laser Designators are number 1 outside of the US
Our 2 year Graduate Programme
On joining the Leonardo graduate programme, you will unlock a wealth of development opportunities and further learning. You will receive mentoring, coaching and support to achieve your personal goals and accreditation from your professional body.
We have created a programme across our UK sites that not only increases your professional skills through hands on experience on some of our largest projects, but also helps to develop your leadership and business skills. You will receive mentoring, coaching and support to achieve your personal goals, whilst working towards accreditation within your chosen profession.
We value those who continuously ask questions and look to resolve problems through creative and innovative thinking. We will demand a high degree of customer focus and work performance from you in order to meet our operational challenges.
Our key competencies we look for and develop are:
- Achieving High Performance
- Continuously Improving
- Customer Focus
- Working Together
- Personal: Self Awareness & Confidence
- Technical: Analysis, Judgement & Problem Solving
The graduate programme offers the perfect springboard to a successful and enjoyable future career with Leonardo.
Graduate Supportability Engineer Job Description
Imagine you are in a conflict zone, responsible for fixing the broken Electronic Warfare Equipment on an RAF jet. Do you have the right tools, spares and training to do the job under pressure?
Supportability Engineering is about planning cost effective support of equipment through its life, ensuring that the end user has:
- Equipment that will be reliable and easy to maintain;
- Relevant handbooks / help files;
- Training that will enable them to use and maintain the equipment;
- The correct infrastructure, tools and test equipment so that they can use and maintain the equipment in challenging environments.
This is done through mathematical analysis and modelling, equipment appraisals, handbook preparation and training course preparation and delivery.
Supportability Engineering are involved in the whole life cycle of a product (from concept to disposal) and work with design engineers, equipment suppliers, production teams and end users.
The Graduate Supportability Engineer will gain an understanding of all functions within the department and will undertake specific tasks which contribute to the processes, knowledge or deliverables of the company. The specific tasks undertaken by the graduate will be tailored to the skills and experience of the selected candidate.
The graduate will be required to undertake a range of activities within the Supportability Engineering Function, typically:
- Reviewing field failure data to identify patterns and trends, presenting data to customers and design teams and recommending areas for improvement
- Assessing the expected Reliability of products in development
- Undertaking Maintainability appraisals for products in development
- Assessing the availability of in-service products
- Contributing to the Reliability and Maintainability Case
- Undertaking analysis to support safety assessments
- Quantifying spares requirements and through life costs
- Helping to define the support infrastructure
- Developing customer technical documentation and training
- Liaising with teams within Supportability Engineering and other functions
Must have obtained or are predicted to obtain a minimum of an upper second class honours degree in a relevant discipline (including systems/electronics/aeronautical engineering, mathematics and physics).
You must be able to obtain SC security clearance (if necessary) and have a minimum of 5 years permanent residency in the UK. The role requires access to UK Caveated information; therefore the candidate will require sole or dual UK nationality.
- Basic understanding of electronics - components & systems (or willingness to learn)
- Ability to organise data, to extract facts out of range of data formats
- Good interpersonal skills
- Good report writing ability
What can I expect from my working environment?
- This is an office based role using display screen equipment. But the candidate will also be required to work within screened laboratories.
- As part of this role you will be expected to travel to sites in the UK and occasional travel abroad with overnight stays.
- Candidates must be willing to work flexible hours, as required, to meet deadlines.
What’s in it for me?
Leonardo value their people and we reward commitment with a competitive remuneration and flexible benefits package including:
- £26,000 starting salary
- £2,000 welcome bonus
- Accommodation Allowance (£400 p/m for 6 months)
- Free/subsidised gym membership
- 33 days holiday and flexible working arrangements
- Mentoring and financial support whilst working towards professional accreditation
- 3 performance related pay reviews within the 2 years
- Contributory pension scheme
- Private healthcare
What are you waiting for?
A career in the defence industry rewards over 162,000 people and generates a £22billion turnover. Come and be a part of a community and work with some of the most talented engineers in the UK on some of the most exciting projects around.
Don’t delay – Roles will be closed as soon as they are offered! So APPLY NOW to avoid disappointment.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!