Graduate Mechanical Engineer
Leonardo – Ingenuity at your service
Do you want to work on real-time projects alongside leading scientists and engineers within a globally renowned company?
Leonardo has an award winning Graduate Programme that develops promising young graduates into engineers and business professionals of the future.
Leonardo is an international leader in electronic and information technologies for defence systems, aerospace, data, infrastructures, land security and protection and sustainable ’smart’ solutions. We are globally renowned and are continually expanding, offering exciting opportunities to talented graduates who want to work at the forefront of our technology. With the majority of our engineers having chartered status, you can look forward to working with highly skilled professionals that are passionate about their work.
- Our technology defines the capability of the Eurofighter Typhoon
- Our products help to return service men and women safely home to their families
- Our surveillance radar helps coastguards to save lives of people lost at sea
- Our thermal camera has commercial uses such as on the BBC’s Winter Watch
- Our perimeter security offered protection during the Commonwealth Games
- Our Airborne Infra-Red Counter Measures, Radar and Laser Designators are number 1 outside of the US
Our 2 year Graduate Programme
On joining the Leonardo graduate programme, you will unlock a wealth of development opportunities and further learning. You will receive mentoring, coaching and support to achieve your personal goals and accreditation from your professional body.
We have created a programme across our UK sites that not only increases your professional skills through hands on experience on some of our largest projects, but also helps to develop your leadership and business skills. You will receive mentoring, coaching and support to achieve your personal goals, whilst working towards accreditation within your chosen profession.
We value those who continuously ask questions and look to resolve problems through creative and innovative thinking. We will demand a high degree of customer focus and work performance from you in order to meet our operational challenges.
Our key competencies we look for and develop are:
- Achieving High Performance
- Continuously Improving
- Customer Focus
- Working Together
- Personal: Self Awareness & Confidence
- Technical: Analysis, Judgement & Problem Solving
The graduate programme offers the perfect springboard to a successful and enjoyable future career with Leonardo.
Graduate Mechanical Engineer Job Description
A high calibre Engineer who is extremely motivated by Mechanical Engineering and is committed to learning and personal development in a team environment.
- Primary role is to contribute to the completion of engineering team tasks, offering lateral thinking to conceptual design and problem solving.
- Enthusiasm to grow knowledge-base and experience towards becoming a full team member.
- Set standards for behaviours, professionalism and quality of mechanical engineering.
- Awareness and interest in Structural and/or Thermal analysis would be a great advantage, and potentially support a development opportunity as a specialist within the analysis group.
Working within the Mechanical Engineering Function within Leonardo's Luton facility, this is a Graduate Mechanical Engineering role supporting mechanical design, development and validation activities across a range of electronic warfare projects.
- Work as a contributory engineering team member.
- Undertake day-to-day mechanical engineering activities with some guidance and support.
- Ask for help and learn from more experienced team members.
- Contribute to engineering team decisions, and understand why such decisions are made and their relationship to project success criteria.
- Manage own development towards attaining Engineer level through the overall Graduate Development Programme framework.
- Seek out new experiences and opportunities to learn within mechanical engineering, and in other engineering placements.
- Seek and share good practice and knowledge locally to continuously improve own practices.
Must have obtained or are predicted to obtain a minimum of an upper second class honours MEng/MSc degree in a relevant discipline (including Engineering, Science and Technology).
You must be able to obtain SC security clearance (if necessary) and have a minimum of 5 years permanent residency in the UK. The role requires access to UK Caveated information; therefore the candidate will require to have sole or dual UK nationality.
- Respectful of others with a high degree of personal integrity.
- Effective listener – understand others points of view.
- Challenge ideas, proposed solutions and people in a constructive, positive yet tenacious manner.
- Business focussed; Ability to make effective trade-offs – Cost, quality, schedule.
- Tenacious – Maintain focus on end goal.
What can I expect from my working environment?
This is an office based role using display screen equipment and working full time hours, which can often be in a demanding environment. As part of this role you may be expected to travel in the UK and possibly abroad, including overnight stay as part of this travel. Working to tight deadlines either on a regular or ad hoc basis will be required.
What’s in it for me?
Leonardo value their people and we reward commitment with a competitive remuneration and flexible benefits package including:
- £26,000 starting salary
- £2,000 welcome bonus
- Accommodation Allowance (£400 p/m for 6 months)
- Free/subsidised gym membership
- 33 days holiday and flexible working arrangements
- Mentoring and financial support whilst working towards professional accreditation
- 3 performance related pay reviews within the 2 years
- Contributory pension scheme
- Private healthcare
What are you waiting for?
A career in the defence industry rewards over 162,000 people and generates a £22billion turnover. Come and be a part of a community and work with some of the most talented engineers in the UK on some of the most exciting projects around.
Don’t delay – Roles will be closed as soon as they are offered! So APPLY NOW to avoid disappointment.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!