Graduate Systems Engineer (Airborne & Space)
Leonardo – Ingenuity at your service
Do you want to work on real-time projects alongside leading scientists and engineers within a globally renowned company?
Leonardo has an award winning Graduate Programme that develops promising young graduates into engineers and business professionals of the future.
Leonardo is an international leader in electronic and information technologies for defence systems, aerospace, data, infrastructures, land security and protection and sustainable ’smart’ solutions. We are globally renowned and are continually expanding, offering exciting opportunities to talented graduates who want to work at the forefront of our technology. With the majority of our engineers having chartered status, you can look forward to working with highly skilled professionals that are passionate about their work.
- Our technology defines the capability of the Eurofighter Typhoon
- Our products help to return service men and women safely home to their families
- Our surveillance radar helps coastguards to save lives of people lost at sea
- Our thermal camera has commercial uses such as on the BBC’s Winter Watch
- Our perimeter security offered protection during the Commonwealth Games
- Our Airborne Infra-Red Counter Measures, Radar and Laser Designators are number 1 outside of the US
Our 2 year Graduate Programme
On joining the Leonardo graduate programme, you will unlock a wealth of development opportunities and further learning. You will receive mentoring, coaching and support to achieve your personal goals and accreditation from your professional body.
We have created a programme across our UK sites that not only increases your professional skills through hands on experience on some of our largest projects, but also helps to develop your leadership and business skills. You will receive mentoring, coaching and support to achieve your personal goals, whilst working towards accreditation within your chosen profession.
We value those who continuously ask questions and look to resolve problems through creative and innovative thinking. We will demand a high degree of customer focus and work performance from you in order to meet our operational challenges.
Our key competencies we look for and develop are:
- Achieving High Performance
- Continuously Improving
- Customer Focus
- Working Together
- Personal: Self Awareness & Confidence
- Technical: Analysis, Judgement & Problem Solving
The graduate programme offers the perfect springboard to a successful and enjoyable future career with Leonardo.
Graduate Systems Engineer (Airborne & Space) Job Description
The Support and Service Solutions (S3) line of business operates across all of the main UK sites, providing innovative and invaluable support solutions to our customers. S3 is part of the Airborne and Space Systems Division, which develops and produces a wide range of products and solutions for both manned and unmanned aircraft platforms, including integrated mission systems, airborne radars and sensors, protection and countermeasure systems, on-board avionics, and simulation systems.
Would you like the opportunity to create innovative systems? Can you imagine yourself using new technology to solve future medical or energy problems? Do you like the idea of working directly with customers and end users across the UK? If so, then why not join the growing S3 engineering community and work alongside some of the most talented engineers in the UK.
As a graduate systems engineer within S3, you will be part of a team developing support system architectures and concept solutions, and looking at cost effective support of equipment through its life. By using mathematical analysis and modelling, you can help to ensure that the end user has equipment that will be reliable and easy to maintain in challenging environments. You might also look at how technology can be applied to provide a service that addresses current and future global issues.
Working as part of a systems engineering community and supported by a team of experienced engineers, you will be responsible for:
- Developing and applying your academic knowledge to undertake various activities across the engineering lifecycle, delivering to agreed performance targets, including cost and schedule.
- Developing practical skills in engineering design and development for complex solutions, understanding key processes and technologies.
- Working closely with engineers across multiple disciplines to solve problems.
- Completing tasks to a high standard and in accordance with appropriate processes and procedures.
- Taking an active role in engineering process improvement, ensuring the communication of best practise across the engineering team.
- Using technical expertise to solve problems, generate ideas and be pro-active within the team.
- Must have obtained or are predicted to obtain a minimum of an upper second class honours degree in a relevant discipline (e.g. physics, mathematics, electronic engineering, systems engineering, avionics or other related science or engineering subject).
- You must be able to obtain SC security clearance (if necessary) and have a minimum of 5 years permanent residency in the UK.
- Ability to demonstrate and apply system-level thinking
- Self-motivated with an aptitude for problem solving and an ability to drive difficult issues to conclusion
- Able to work with minimum direction/supervision on complex tasks
- Excellent communication and inter-personal skills, and the ability to interact with subject matter experts regarding a range of technical and operational topics
- Confident with ability to challenge/respond to technical/process issues.
- Experience of working with engineering modelling tools (e.g. Matlab, Simulink)
- Knowledge of a programming language (e.g. C, Visual Basic, Python)
- Knowledge of and/or interest in avionics equipment
What can I expect from my working environment?
This is an office based role using display screen equipment, with some work being required in laboratories. You will be working full time hours which can often be in a demanding environment. Working to tight deadlines either on a regular or ad hoc basis may be required. As S3 is a geographically dispersed line of business, the role is likely to include travel within the UK, and possibly also abroad, to support customer meetings or demonstration activities. In some cases you will also be expected to stay overnight as part of this travel. There may also be the possibility of placements on different sites within the UK.
What’s in it for me?
Leonardo value their people and we reward commitment with a competitive remuneration and flexible benefits package including:
- £26,000 starting salary
- £2,000 welcome bonus
- Accommodation Allowance (£400 p/m for 6 months)
- Free/subsidised gym membership
- 33 days holiday and flexible working arrangements
- Mentoring and financial support whilst working towards professional accreditation
- 3 performance related pay reviews within the 2 years
- Contributory pension scheme
- Private healthcare
What are you waiting for?
A career in the defence industry rewards over 162,000 people and generates a £22billion turnover. Come and be a part of a community and work with some of the most talented engineers in the UK on some of the most exciting projects around.
Don’t delay – Roles will be closed as soon as they are offered! So APPLY NOW to avoid disappointment.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!