Graduate Systems Engineer- Bristol
Do you want to work on real-time projects alongside leading scientists and engineers within a globally renowned company?
Leonardo has an award winning Graduate Programme that develops promising young graduates into engineers and business professionals of the future.
Leonardo is an international leader in electronic and information technologies for defence systems, aerospace, data, infrastructures, land security and protection and sustainable ’smart’ solutions. We are globally renowned and are continually expanding, offering exciting opportunities to talented graduates who want to work at the forefront of our technology. With the majority of our engineers having chartered status, you can look forward to working with highly skilled professionals that are passionate about their work.
- Our technology defines the capability of the Eurofighter Typhoon
- Our products help to return service men and women safely home to their families
- Our surveillance radar helps coastguards to save lives of people lost at sea
- Our thermal camera has commercial uses such as on the BBC’s Winter Watch
- Our perimeter security offered protection during the Commonwealth Games
- Our Airborne Infra-Red Counter Measures, Radar and Laser Designators are number 1 outside of the US
Our 2 year Graduate Programme
On joining the Leonardo graduate programme, you will unlock a wealth of development opportunities and further learning. You will receive mentoring, coaching and support to achieve your personal goals and accreditation from your professional body.
We have created a programme across our UK sites that not only increases your professional skills through hands on experience on some of our largest projects, but also helps to develop your leadership and business skills. You will receive mentoring, coaching and support to achieve your personal goals, whilst working towards accreditation within your chosen profession.
We value those who continuously ask questions and look to resolve problems through creative and innovative thinking. We will demand a high degree of customer focus and work performance from you in order to meet our operational challenges.
Our key competencies we look for and develop are:
- Achieving High Performance
- Continuously Improving
- Customer Focus
- Working Together
- Personal: Self Awareness & Confidence
- Technical: Analysis, Judgement & Problem Solving
The graduate programme offers the perfect springboard to a successful and enjoyable future career with Leonardo.
Graduate Systems Engineer
Leonardo Security & Information Systems is an exciting and expanding part of the Leonardo organisation, designing, delivering and supporting secure systems for our various customers, primarily in the cyber industry. The cyber industry is one of the fastest growing markets worldwide, playing a key role in international security and the value of online business.
Operating securely is an outcome needed by all IT-enabled organisations. This outcome is achieved when security becomes a part of the culture of the organisation, embedded in its thinking, processes and technologies.
We are seeking to appoint a high calibre graduate to work as a Junior Engineer based at our offices in Bristol. They will be developing their skill-set alongside experienced IT engineers providing delivery and technical engineering into the Defence Industry, Emergency Services Industry Central, Local and International Government Departments, Energy Industry and private sector clients.
Our engineers design, implement, test, deliver and support robust, agile secure Information Systems solutions to manage the risks of information loss and misuse associated with cyber-attacks. We improve the cyber posture of organisations in line with business needs and leverage this position to support their requirements for business restructuring, achieving operational efficiency, programme delivery, IT transition, service sourcing and delivery strategies.
You will be developing core engineering skills in areas such as:
- Infrastructure and Network design, implementation, delivery and through life support
- Fault finding and problem solving
- Continuous improvement of people, processes and technology
You will also build competence in technical areas such as:
- Developing technical architectures to support customer requirements
- Supporting the delivery and transition of ICT services and applications
- Cyber threat analysis and information security monitoring
- Integration of COTS technologies with Secure environments
Other responsibilities are likely to include:
- Identify and support business development opportunities
- Represent Leonardo externally at client sites, events and academic institutions
- Share knowledge and experience with other staff
- Perform other essential duties as assigned
Most training will be delivered via on-the-job experience working in consulting teams often alongside and assimilated within our clients’ project groups. Additional formal training to supplement may be provided via taught courses depending on the business needs.
- Must have obtained or are predicted to obtain a minimum of an upper second class honours degree 2:1 preferably in Computer Science, ICT, Mathematics, Engineering or Science and ideally with business administration experience;
- Have technical engineering skills, the ability to learn new technologies;
- Confident to identify and communicate technical issues and key concerns to senior staff and work with a team to develop and execute coherent approaches to the solution;
- Strong interpersonal skills, capable of building relationships with team members and Customers;
- Good analytical skills with attention to detail
- Excellent communication including, written, presentational and face-to-face;
- Be confident operating a PC and familiar with Microsoft Office applications
- Be able to provide evidence of right to work in the UK
- Be able to obtain SC security clearance
- Have a minimum of 5 years permanent residency in the UKYou must be able to obtain SC security clearance (if necessary) and have a minimum of 5 years permanent residency in the UK.
- The role requires access to UK Caveated information; therefore the candidate will require either sole or dual UK nationality
What can I expect from my working environment?
You will be working within world class facilities regardless of which site you are based. Dependent on your role, you may be working in an office or lab environment or a combination of both. There may also be opportunities to travel between different sites and to meet with customers and suppliers.
Occasionally you may also travel abroad.
What’s in it for me?
- Leonardo value their people and we reward commitment with a competitive remuneration and flexible benefits package including:
- £26,000 starting salary
- £2,000 welcome bonus
- Accommodation Allowance (£400 p/m for 6 months)
- Free/subsidised gym membership
- 33 days holiday and flexible working arrangements
- Mentoring and financial support whilst working towards professional accreditation
- 3 performance related pay reviews within the 2 years
- Contributory pension scheme
- Private healthcare
What are you waiting for?
A career in the defence industry rewards over 162,000 people and generates a £22billion turnover. Come and be a part of a community and work with some of the most talented engineers in the UK on some of the most exciting projects around.
Don’t delay – Roles will be closed as soon as they are offered! So APPLY NOW to avoid disappointment.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!