Graduate Hardware Engineer - Edinburgh
Leonardo – Ingenuity at your service
Do you want to work on real-time projects alongside leading scientists and engineers within a globally renowned company?
Leonardo has an award winning Graduate Programme that develops promising young graduates into engineers and business professionals of the future.
Leonardo is an international leader in electronic and information technologies for defence systems, aerospace, data, infrastructures, land security and protection and sustainable ’smart’ solutions. We are globally renowned and are continually expanding, offering exciting opportunities to talented graduates who want to work at the forefront of our technology. With the majority of our engineers having chartered status, you can look forward to working with highly skilled professionals that are passionate about their work.
- Our technology defines the capability of the Eurofighter Typhoon
- Our products help to return service men and women safely home to their families
- Our surveillance radar helps coastguards to save lives of people lost at sea
- Our thermal camera has commercial uses such as on the BBC’s Winter Watch
- Our perimeter security offered protection during the Commonwealth Games
- Our Airborne Infra-Red Counter Measures, Radar and Laser Designators are number 1 outside of the US
Our 2 year Graduate Programme
On joining the Leonardo graduate programme, you will unlock a wealth of development opportunities and further learning. You will receive mentoring, coaching and support to achieve your personal goals and accreditation from your professional body.
We have created a programme across our UK sites that not only increases your professional skills through hands on experience on some of our largest projects, but also helps to develop your leadership and business skills. You will receive mentoring, coaching and support to achieve your personal goals, whilst working towards accreditation within your chosen profession.
We value those who continuously ask questions and look to resolve problems through creative and innovative thinking. We will demand a high degree of customer focus and work performance from you in order to meet our operational challenges.
Our key competencies we look for and develop are:
- Achieving High Performance
- Continuously Improving
- Customer Focus
- Working Together
- Personal: Self Awareness & Confidence
- Technical: Analysis, Judgement & Problem Solving
The graduate programme offers the perfect springboard to a successful and enjoyable future career with Leonardo.
Graduate Hardware Engineer Job Description
You have an opportunity to establish your design and development skills by working on cutting-edge digital electronics systems. You will be actively involved in the design of High Speed digital and/or FPGA design for Radar or Electro-Optic applications. You will be introduced to electronic design and development processes and will use of state-of-the-art methods, technology and tools. You will work in integrated product teams (IPT) and report to a senior engineer who will provide you with day to day guidance and on the job training. As Electronics is fundamental to our products, the Graduate programme provides you with the ideal environment to learn and develop your career in Electronics electronic engineering.
- You will actively participate in the Graduate Development Scheme over 2 years.
- You will learn the skills required for electronics design and development.
- You will develop advanced design techniques for aerospace applications, understanding the key technologies, and developing experience in using ECAD tools and test equipment.
- You will obtain knowledge and experience in requirements analysis and definition, electronics design, electronics implementation, electronics integration, electronics test and through life support.
- The role requires access to UK Caveated information; therefore the candidate will be required to have either sole or dual UK nationality.
- You must be able to obtain SC security clearance (if necessary) and have a minimum of 5 years permanent residency in the UK.
- Must have obtained or are predicted to obtain a MEng in Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Relevant experience via summer industrial placements advantageous
- Evidence of specialist knowledge and/or interest in the area of Digital Design, FPGA Design and/or Hardware based signal processing.
- You should also be able to demonstrate the following personal attributes: Personal ownership & responsibility for own work, Team working skills, Technical excellence, Creative problem solving ability and Leadership potential.
What can I expect from my working environment?
- This is an office based role using display screen equipment.
- You will work full time hours which can often be within a demanding environment.
- As part of this role you will be expected to travel in the UK and abroad, you may be expected to stay overnight as part of this travel.
- Working to tight deadlines either on a regular or ad-hoc basis will be required.
What’s in it for me?
Leonardo value their people and we reward commitment with a competitive remuneration and flexible benefits package including:
- £26,000 starting salary
- £2,000 welcome bonus
- Accommodation Allowance (£400 p/m for 6 months)
- Free/subsidised gym membership
- 33 days holiday and flexible working arrangements
- Mentoring and financial support whilst working towards professional accreditation
- 3 performance related pay reviews within the 2 years
- Contributory pension scheme
- Private healthcare
What are you waiting for?
A career in the defence industry rewards over 162,000 people and generates a £22billion turnover. Come and be a part of a community and work with some of the most talented engineers in the UK on some of the most exciting projects around.
Don’t delay – Roles will be closed as soon as they are offered! So APPLY NOW to avoid disappointment.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!