Industrial Placement Industrial Engineer - Edinburgh
There is currently an opportunity to join our Industrial Engineering Team here at Leonardo in Edinburgh on a fixed term contract as an Industrial Placement. This role, reporting to a Senior Industrial Engineer, involves the practical application of lean manufacturing techniques within a product group. This includes advising on shop floor layout, the efficient presentation of materialto and from the manufacturing halls, interpreting Key Performance Indicator (KPI) data for root cause analysis and working closely with the project IPT to deliver solutions to internal process & vendor quality issues.
The ability to analyse manufacturing data and react accordingly, a strong presence within the IPT and an influence on Engineering and Procurement to drive change where required. A practical understanding of Vendor Capability with regards to process control, key performance indicators and the assessment of vendor inspection and test effectiveness in respect of the risk of escaping defects in products delivered to Leonardo. In addition, there are four key disciplines within this team, with staff allocated accordingly:
- Business Improvement
- Business Support
- Change Management (product configuration)
- Production Support
The role also involves cost benefit analysis, Unit Production Cost Evaluation & monitoring of Defects and Concessions per Unit. Successes will be dependant on cost burn down quality improvement & on-time delivery to contract
- You must be able to satisfy the necessary security clearance for the role applied for and meet a minimum of 5 years permanent residency in the UK.
- Industrial Placements are also desired to demonstrate:
- Awareness of DFM and Vendor Capability Assessment techniques
- Strong working knowledge of Lean Principles & Implementation
- Drive and Develop a Continuous Improvement attitude within the IPT
- Strong Manufacturing Process understanding with the ability to modify & improve existing processes.
- Ability to identify and evaluate new equipment for process improvement / streamlining
- Strong understanding of Engineering drawings and DFM.
- Ability to be an influential individual within the IPT, drive change through a multifunctional team
- Understanding & creation of product UPC Models – identification of cost drivers and a sound knowledge of MS Office applications
- Experience in Product ionisation & development / improvement of an existing product
- Experience in manufacturing facility acquisition
Leonardo is an international leader in electronic and information technologies for defence systems, aerospace, data, infrastructures, land security and protection and sustainable ’smart’ solutions. We are globally renowned and are continually expanding, offering exciting opportunities to talented graduates who want to work at the forefront of our technology. With the majority of our engineers having chartered status, you can look forward to working with highly skilled professionals that are passionate about their work.
The 6 month – 1 year Industrial Placement Graduate Programme
We have created a programme across our UK sites that not only increase your technical skills but give you the opportunity to work on meaningful real life projects alongside experienced engineers and graduates across our business. You will receive coaching and support to achieve your personal goals and work in multidisciplinary teams to gain as much experience across the product lifecycle from your time in industry, as possible. Our ultimate aim is to see you through your undergrad years and hopefully offer you a place on our 2 year Graduate Development programme at an appropriate time.
We value those who continuously ask questions and look to resolve problems through creative and innovative thinking. We will demand a high degree of customer focus and work performance from you in order to meet our operational challenges.
What’s in it for me?
Leonardo values their people and we reward commitment with a competitive remuneration and flexible benefits package including:
- Competitive salary & Accommodation Allowance (subject to eligibility)
- 33 days holiday and flexible working arrangements
- Contributory pension scheme
- Private healthcare
What are you waiting for?
A career in the defence industry rewards over 162,000 people and generates a £22billion turnover. Come and be a part of a community and work with some of the most talented engineers in the UK on some of the most exciting projects around.
Don’t delay – these roles attract high competition so APPLY NOW to avoid disappointment. Roles will be closed as soon as they are offered!
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!