Industrial Placement Systems Engineer (EW/MAP) - Luton
Leonardo is an international leader in electronic and information technologies for defence systems, aerospace, data, infrastructures, land security and protection and sustainable ’smart’ solutions. We are globally renowned and are continually expanding, offering exciting opportunities to talented graduates who want to work at the forefront of our technology. With the majority of our engineers having chartered status, you can look forward to working with highly skilled professionals that are passionate about their work.
The 6 month – 1 year Industrial Placement Graduate Programme
We have created a programme across our UK sites that not only increase your technical skills but give you the opportunity to work on meaningful real life projects alongside experienced engineers and graduates across our business. You will receive coaching and support to achieve your personal goals and work in multidisciplinary teams to gain as much experience across the product lifecycle from your time in industry, as possible. Our ultimate aim is to see you through your undergrad years and hopefully offer you a place on our 2 year Graduate Development programme at an appropriate time.
We value those who continuously ask questions and look to resolve problems through creative and innovative thinking. We will demand a high degree of customer focus and work performance from you in order to meet our operational challenges.
The Leonardo Luton site is home to the Electronic Warfare (EW) and Major Air Programmes (MAP) Lines of Business, both part of the Airborne and Space Systems Division. The division develops and produces a wide range of products and solutions for both manned and unmanned aircraft platforms, including integrated mission systems, airborne radars and sensors, protection and countermeasure systems, on-board avionics and simulation systems.
As a Systems Industrial Placement, you will work alongside some of the most talented engineers in the UK. You will support the development of world-leading technologies and capabilities across multiple domains including Avionics, Electronic Warfare, and Unmanned and Autonomous Systems (UAS).
Systems Industrial Placement students have the opportunity to be involved in one or more phases of the systems engineering lifecycle to create and deliver new and emerging capabilities required by our customers; from the development of system architectures and concept designs for the next generation of EW or UAS capability, through to live trials of developed equipment and systems and working alongside our customers and end-users.
- Working as part of an established systems engineering community and supported by a team of experienced engineers, you will be responsible for:
- Developing and applying your academic skills to undertake various defined activities from across the engineering lifecycle, delivering to agreed performance targets, including cost and schedule.
- Developing practical skills in engineering design and development for complex systems, understanding key processes and technologies.
- Gaining an understanding of the EW and UAS domains to support the development of relevant products and technologies.
- Working closely with engineers across multiple disciplines to solve problems.
- Completing tasks to a high standard in accordance with appropriate processes and procedures.
- Using technical expertise to solve problems, generate ideas and be proactive within the team.
- You must be able to satisfy the necessary security clearance for the role applied for and meet a minimum of 5 years permanent residency in the UK.
- Studying a relevant science or engineering subject to degree level (e.g. physics, mathematics, systems / aerospace / electronic / mechanical engineering, or avionics).
- Have an understanding of mathematics to at least A-Level standard, and a basic understanding of electronics.
- Self-motivated with an aptitude to problem solving and ability to drive difficult issues to conclusion.
- Excellent communication and inter-personal skills, and the ability to interact with subject matter experts regarding a range of technical and operational topics.
- Confidence and ability to challenge/respond to technical/process issues.
- Awareness of engineering development tools (e.g. MATLAB, Simulink, Rhapsody).
What can I expect from my working environment?
This is an office based role using display screen equipment, with some work being required in laboratories. You will be working full time hours which can often be in a demanding environment. Working to tight deadlines either on a regular or ad hoc basis may be required. As part of this role you may have the opportunity to travel to support customer meetings or trials and demonstration activities. In some cases you will also be expected to stay overnight as part of this travel.
What’s in it for me?
Leonardo values their people and we reward commitment with a competitive remuneration and flexible benefits package including:
- Competitive salary & Accommodation Allowance (subject to eligibility)
- 33 days holiday and flexible working arrangements
- Contributory pension scheme
- Private healthcare
What are you waiting for?
A career in the defence industry rewards over 162,000 people and generates a £22billion turnover. Come and be a part of a community and work with some of the most talented engineers in the UK on some of the most exciting projects around.
Don’t delay – these roles attract high competition so APPLY NOW to avoid disappointment. Roles will be closed as soon as they are offered!
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!