Industrial Placement - Quantity Surveying (Cost Consultancy)
Mace Cost Consultancy is about focusing upon cost and value early in the project lifecycle to be able to influence decision making. We combine the understanding of our clients' business drivers and output requirements with our knowledge of construction costs and the market trends that influence costs to create insightful and accurate assessments of proposals.
Quantity surveyors working in consultancy are often referred to as private quantity surveyors (PQS) whose role can be defined under multiple job titles such as Cost Consultant or Cost Manager. This role is predominantly based within Mace or client offices, with regular site visits. As a PQS you will have the opportunity to work across multiple projects simultaneously.
As a placement student in cost consultancy you will be assisting the Senior Cost Consultant with a variety of responsibilities, including:
- Estimating and producing cost plans
- Checking costs
- Conducting valuations
- Analysing final accounts
- Measurement exercises, including the preparation of schedules of quantities for building elements
- Drafting procurement documentation, monthly reports and tender reports
- Supporting the tender process
- Assisting with variations and change control processes
- Attending client meetings.
This role is available in Birmingham and London.
Mace’s Cost Consultancy placement students must be studying a Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) accredited degree in Quantity Surveying.
Professional qualification routes
Mace’s Cost Consultancy team provides extensive training and support for placements in beginning their work towards professional RICS qualification.
For the above roles you are required to demonstrate the following:
- A minimum 2.1 undergraduate degree (expected)
- 240 UCAS points and Grade C in GCSE Maths and English (or equivalent qualifications)
- Evidence of significant extra-curricular activities that demonstrate drive and excellent interpersonal skills
- A passion for a career in the construction industry.
In addition to the minimum requirements, candidates must have:
- Strong numerical skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to work effectively in a team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Drive to achieve results.