Systems Design And Validation Undergraduate Placement 2019 - Bristol
What’s the role?
This opportunity is for an Undergraduate placement as a Systems Engineer working within the design community developing complex weapon systems within the System Design and Validation Function (SD&V)
Systems Design Engineers within MBDA are responsible for:
- Conceptualising new products and technologies
- Writing system and sub-system level specifications
- Developing and managing requirements
- Proving, validation and certification
- Integrating hardware and software
- Platform integration (airframes, vehicles, ships)
- Simulating weapon system performance and analysing missile trials data
While on the undergraduate scheme you will undertake two 6 month long placements.
At MBDA you will:
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of each element of a missile weapon system from the warhead to the seeker
- Work alongside experts with varied skills and backgrounds within SD&V and other functions (Weapons Architecture, Seekers, Lethality and Warheads, Software, Business and Procurement, Simulation and Modelling etc)
- Work with external stakeholders, subcontractors, government customers and industry consortium partners
- Work within teams responsible for coordinating and completing multi-million pound weapons installations
- Be given the responsibility to deliver programme critical items of work and have the opportunity to use your knowledge and influence to guide programme level design decisions
- Conduct varied day-to-day work with workload management
The experience you will gain will cover many provable systems engineering methods such as Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE), which you will apply to projects at all stages of the CADMID lifecycle
Who and what we are looking for from you?
- Hold, or be working towards a minimum 2:2 honours degree (or equivalent qualification) in Aeronautical, Aerospace, Electrical or Systems Engineering, Maths, Physics, or similar, applicants with relevant post-graduate qualifications are also encouraged
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Effective communicators who are able to demonstrate skills in presenting and technical report writing
- Have an interest in the defence industry
- We are looking for someone who has initiative and drive, has strong attention to detail and problem solving skills, proactive in finding & collecting information and thinking about further steps, capable of quickly understanding complex problems
- Ability to demonstrate experience of working in teams and taking on responsibility
- Able to derive logical solutions to inform design decisions
Why you should come and work at MBDA?
MBDA, a world leader in missiles and missile systems, is a multi-national group with over 10,000 employees on industrial facilities in France, Germany, Italy, the United Kingdom and a presence in the United States. With some of the most sophisticated technology in defence, MBDA offers a wide range of advanced weapon systems for maritime Superiority, Air Dominance, Ground Based Air Defence and Battlefield Engagement.
- We work with over 90 armed forces, successfully integrating our systems onto multiple platforms.
- Has a technology pedigree that allows innovative and responsive products to be created year upon year
- Our success is based on the dedication of our people and we strive to offer each and every employee an enjoyable, challenging and rewarding career
- MBDA is ranked 12th in the Sunday Times Top 30 Best Big Companies to Work For, demonstrating successful growth and high levels of employee retention.
- Our work is complex, challenging and innovative. It takes a range of professionals across the full engineering and commercial spectrum to carry it out. Whatever field our people specialise in, they all share the same mind-set: a drive to make things work better and to redefine the established standards
What would you get?
£18,000 Salary, flexible working hours, paid overtime, a comprehensive pension scheme, employee funded voluntary private healthcare, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities, a share of the annual Company Bonus and superb learning and development opportunities.