Aerodynamics And Propulsion Engineering Undergraduate Placement 2019
Joining the aerodynamics and propulsion department in an undergraduate placement will give you the opportunity to work alongside a team of highly experienced engineers, at the forefront of missile aerodynamics. This vacancy presents a rare opportunity to be actively involved in high speed aerodynamics.
You will have the opportunity to be actively involved in designing the missiles of the future, learning to use cutting edge aerodynamic techniques with guidance and support from our team of aerodynamicists.
What will you be doing?
- The primary role of the department is the aerodynamic design of missiles.
- Stealth, propulsion, thermal and structural aspects all feed in to a multi-disciplinary design approach.
- We apply our bespoke software alongside commercial tools to evaluate the performance of airframes.
- Your analysis work will support missile integration onto land, naval and air platforms across the globe.
- Shorter timescales mean that you will have the opportunity to apply these tools at different stages of missile development from conceptual designs to in-service design modifications.
Aerodynamic positions have covered multiple stages of the aerodynamic tool development life cycle, from increasing capability to user support. Through the use of the software the wider aerodynamics team has designed real world projects such as supersonic intake.
The integration of airframes on to aircraft is an integral part of the missile systems product. New national customers bring new platforms that have unique flow fields which require new analysis. This placement looked at launching an existing airframe from a less-traditional mount under a variety of manoeuvres.
Past propulsion placements have involved the design and qualification of solid rocket motors through interaction with our propulsion subsystem suppliers.
What are the benefits for you?
- You will be working on the cutting edge of missile aerodynamics and propulsion, as part of a highly skilled team of specialist engineers, passionate about what they do.
- The direct application of your degree course to real-world industrial projects. We aim to challenge you to identify problems and come up with your own solutions.
- There may be the potential for you to be involved in experimental testing at world-class external wind tunnel facilities.
- Given that MBDA is a multinational company with offices across Europe, there will be opportunities to travel both within the UK and abroad
What’s great about joining the team?
- You will be joining a team of approximately thirty engineers who form a world class weapon aerodynamic design capability.
- This team have a broad range of multi-disciplinary skills and are involved in a wide range of activities, providing opportunities for working on and influencing the entire MBDA UK portfolio from the initial research and concept phase, through maturation and development, and into in-service support.
- Access to a wide range of training and development opportunities which are open to all team members to broaden their skills and enhance their personal development.
Who and what are we looking for from you?
- Working towards a degree in an aerospace engineering or other related subject.
- To have a passion for aerodynamics and propulsion.
- A proactive attitude, willingness to learn new skills, and the ability to apply newly gained knowledge quickly to overcome problems encountered.
- The ability to clearly communicate and present ideas including preparing technical presentations and reports.
- To be capable of working well within a team and individually
Why you should come and work at MBDA?
MBDA, a world leader in missiles and missile systems, is a multi-national group with over 10,000 employees on industrial facilities in France, Germany, Italy, the United Kingdom and a presence in the United States. With some of the most sophisticated technology in defence, MBDA offers a wide range of advanced weapon systems for maritime Superiority, Air Dominance, Ground Based Air Defence and Battlefield Engagement.
- We work with over 90 armed forces, successfully integrating our systems onto multiple platforms.
- Has a technology pedigree that allows innovative and responsive products to be created year upon year
- Our success is based on the dedication of our people and we strive to offer each and every employee an enjoyable, challenging and rewarding career
- MBDA is ranked 12th in the Sunday Times Top 30 Best Big Companies to Work For, demonstrating successful growth and high levels of employee retention.
- Our work is complex, challenging and innovative. It takes a range of professionals across the full engineering and commercial spectrum to carry it out. Whatever field our people specialise in, they all share the same mind-set: a drive to make things work better and to redefine the established standards
What would you get?
£18,000 Salary, flexible working hours, paid overtime, a comprehensive pension scheme, employee funded voluntary private healthcare, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities, a share of the annual Company Bonus and superb learning and development opportunities.