Lethality And Warheads Summer Placement 2019
What’s the opportunity?
A job opportunity is available for a numerate, proactive engineer or scientist who wants to work in a dynamic team environment enhancing their technical and problem-solving skills. Good communications skills are essential for this role within the Complex Weapons Centre of Excellence (CW CofX). The CW CofX designs and tests Warheads for MBDA missiles. This team is based at MBDA Bolton site and is part of a multi-national company with the potential to work with colleagues from across the UK, France, Italy and Germany.
What will you be doing?
The CW CofX offers an extensive range of work experiences ranging from modelling simulation, to detailed design, manufacturing development and Warhead trials.
Warhead Development follows a product lifecycle starting with a concept, design definitions, assessment, technical specification, design, test equipment and maturity of concepts through into manufacture. The successful applicant could be expected to provide technical support at any stage of this process. This would generally require you to apply your fundamental knowledge of engineering principles to help with material selection, enhancement and optimisation of a new design or aid the manufacturing process.
You could be expected to undertake analysis and interpretation of experimental data, generated from explosive and non-explosive trials work. This information is used to aid our assessment of warhead operational conditions, performance, safety and suitability for service throughout its life. This could be achieved by applying advanced computation computer modelling techniques to predict the likely outcome of a test. Data from the test is then used to validate and improve the model.
What are the benefits for you?
The Warheads department offers independent working on real-life problems from day one, while offering the full support and encouragement of an experienced team of professional engineers and scientists.
What’s great about joining this team?
- The Warheads team within the UK is well established and covers a wide range of capability and product types, while working with our suppliers to develop world class Warheads.
- You will be joining a dynamic, engaged and experienced team with a diverse skillset responsible for the design, performance modelling, manufacture and test of Warheads.
- The team has a wide range of backgrounds and experience, including undergraduates and graduates, through to Chartered Engineers and Scientists with over 30 years of experience in the domain.
Who and what we are looking for from you?
- Ideally you should be working towards a (minimum 2:2 honours degree or equivalent) in a technical or engineering-related discipline, such as Aeronautical, Aerospace, Mechanical or Systems Engineering, Physics, Chemistry or Maths. Applicants with relevant post-graduate qualifications are also encouraged.
- Experience in using analysis tools such as CREO, ANSYS Autodyn, DYNA, RADIOSS, Matlab, Visual Basic and MS Office would be advantageous but not necessarily essential.
- Have a passion to achieve success through conscientious and diligent working
- Be willing to ask questions and challenge assumptions
- Seek insights and make informed decisions
- Use own initiative and be resourceful
- Co-ordinate well within a team environment
- Prioritise tasks and manage time effectively
- Be adaptable to rapidly developing projects
- Apply technical understanding to analyse and solve practical problems
- Have good written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Be willing to travel in the UK and Europe on a regular basis
Why you should come and work at MBDA?
MBDA, a world leader in missiles and missile systems, is a multi-national group with over 10,000 employees on industrial facilities in France, Germany, Italy, the United Kingdom and a presence in the United States. With some of the most sophisticated technology in defence, MBDA offers a wide range of advanced weapon systems for maritime Superiority, Air Dominance, Ground Based Air Defence and Battlefield Engagement.
- We work with over 90 armed forces, successfully integrating our systems onto multiple platforms.
- Has a technology pedigree that allows innovative and responsive products to be created year upon year
- Our success is based on the dedication of our people and we strive to offer each and every employee an enjoyable, challenging and rewarding career
- MBDA is ranked 12th in the Sunday Times Top 30 Best Big Companies to Work For, demonstrating successful growth and high levels of employee retention.
- Our work is complex, challenging and innovative. It takes a range of professionals across the full engineering and commercial spectrum to carry it out. Whatever field our people specialise in, they all share the same mind-set: a drive to make things work better and to redefine the established standards
What would you get?
£16,000 to £18,000 Salary dependant on year of study, flexible working, paid overtime, a comprehensive pension scheme, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities and superb learning and development opportunities.